BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good solid device for mounting a go pro 4 to windshield? I bought this device(pics) thinking that it would be ideal as it's small and rock solid to windshield itself, BUT always one of those, where the actual gopro mount and windshield mount come together there is a little bit of play but when you put it in 70-80 mph wind it chatters like crazy.

I've use the helmet mount in the past and for the most part it does ok, except for my head movements

Thanks

IMG-7415.jpg IMG-7416.jpg

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sometimes I have those moments.......duh

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts

I have mine mounted where the antenna normally is with a RAM mount. Locktite and no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tony that's cool as hell...

Reactions: tonyt.0906

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tony that's cool as hell...
Thanks. Its a perfect location, and I ran the usb cable through the fairing, which gives me constant power..and for those who listen to the radio, I don’t much, but when I do it’s fine.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
333 Posts
Tony, I'm interested in how you mounted to the radio antenna area. Can't tell from the picture enough to duplicate. Any more pics or input would be much appreciated.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tony, I'm interested in how you mounted to the radio antenna area. Can't tell from the picture enough to duplicate. Any more pics or input would be much appreciated.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I removed the antenna and screwed in a ram ball in its place. After that just added the rest of what you see. Connector along with ram mount for GoPro.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Tony, that set up would be something that I would love to use for my newly purchased Insta360 One X2, but the 2021 RT don't have the external antennae! :)

Reactions: tonyt.0906

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tony, that set up would be something that I would love to use for my newly purchased Insta360 One X2, but the 2021 RT don't have the external antennae! :)
Hell I’d trade my set up for a 2021. I’m so on the fence, but the wife wants a new car. I’m like who needs 4 doors, when we can have another permanent convertible. She wasn’t impressed lol.

·
Registered
271 Posts

I have mine mounted where the antenna normally is with a RAM mount. Locktite and no issues

Did you make a screw to fit the antenna or did you force the 1/4x20 screw, the antenna is a 6 mil screw and the ram balls are 1/4x20's, I made a 1/4x20 and 6 mil to fit, couldn't find a stud with sae and metric,

·
Registered
264 Posts
Did you make a screw to fit the antenna or did you force the 1/4x20 screw, the antenna is a 6 mil screw and the ram balls are 1/4x20's, I made a 1/4x20 and 6 mil to fit, couldn't find a stud with sae and metric,
The ram ball I used, screwed right in without any problems or force. In fact I added blue locktite to keep it from vibrating lose. It was the same circumference of the antennae…

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Hell I’d trade my set up for a 2021. I’m so on the fence, but the wife wants a new car. I’m like who needs 4 doors, when we can have another permanent convertible. She wasn’t impressed lol.

That's life!!! ;)

You know that we have had many discussions about mounting video camera in the past. Bike mount vs. helmet mount and all that. As you probably remember, I have done both and opted for helmet mount, and the main reason is because I want to be able to capture things alongside my riding route, which is impossible with bike-mount camera. Of course, I am not trying to convince you one way or another, since we have been through the discussions many times before. I am mentioning it again only because there are so many new members here these days!

I think that I have found the best solution to answer the bike-mount vs. helmet-mount camera! I believe that the solution is a 360 deg. camera, for which the technology seems to be very mature now! Insta360 seems to have made the technology quite seamless, and very easy to use and edit. GoPro also have a 360 deg. camera, and if you want to see of what I have been thinking of using it for, you should take a look at the following YouTube video! It is taken with a GoPro:

Now, I also want to show the kind of pictures that I would have missed with a bike-mount camera:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have mine mounted on my bar. Its out of the way and does not effect any of the controls and I just used zip ties and those sticky anker points to tuck the wire away. I personally like it, I can see if its recording (blinking red light) plus it allows me to turn it on an off as I can't have it on when I ride into work. You also get the benefit of it being behind the wind screen so you get very little wind noise on your video. I run it 24x7 every time I get on the bike.
20190728_212748.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Kabish - I am going to have to do something like that for my Insta360 when I finally get my '21 RT! BTW, this is what the camera looks like:

If it works out, this one camera should cover all angles and fulfill the tasks for both bike-mount and helmet-mount camera in one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's life!!! ;)

You know that we have had many discussions about mounting video camera in the past. Bike mount vs. helmet mount and all that. As you probably remember, I have done both and opted for helmet mount, and the main reason is because I want to be able to capture things alongside my riding route, which is impossible with bike-mount camera. Of course, I am not trying to convince you one way or another, since we have been through the discussions many times before. I am mentioning it again only because there are so many new members here these days!

I think that I have found the best solution to answer the bike-mount vs. helmet-mount camera! I believe that the solution is a 360 deg. camera, for which the technology seems to be very mature now! Insta360 seems to have made the technology quite seamless, and very easy to use and edit. GoPro also have a 360 deg. camera, and if you want to see of what I have been thinking of using it for, you should take a look at the following YouTube video! It is taken with a GoPro:

Now, I also want to show the kind of pictures that I would have missed with a bike-mount camera:

Pad- just to be clear, was the GoPro 360 camera mounted on your helmet for this video clip? It’s really cool, like a drone flying next to you taking the video.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Pad- just to be clear, was the GoPro 360 camera mounted on your helmet for this video clip? It’s really cool, like a drone flying next to you taking the video.
I am afraid you misunderstood my post! ;)

That video using the 360deg. GoPro was something that I had seen on YouTube, and shared it here. The camera is most likely mounted on the left handle-bar, just based on what I can see. 360deg. camera captures images all around it, and you have to use a software or app to export what you want to show. Hence, you can vary the angle-of-view of the display, either fixed or dynamically. You can show all sorts of special effects, again based on the specific features of the software or app. I am not familiar with what GoPro offers, since I think that Insta360 have the better products and software/app. Take a look at the Insta360 web site if you are interested. They have 2 products that will be of interests. The One R model came out much earlier on, and the modularity of the design is quite unique. The one that I bought though, is the One X2, which came out quite recently.

BTW, the photo that I had posted did come from my helmetcam. It's a Sony FDR-X2000. When I ride, it's always recording 4k video, and that photo was a mere frame-grab from the video.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know of a good solid device for mounting a go pro 4 to windshield? I bought this device(pics) thinking that it would be ideal as it's small and rock solid to windshield itself, BUT always one of those, where the actual gopro mount and windshield mount come together there is a little bit of play but when you put it in 70-80 mph wind it chatters like crazy.

I've use the helmet mount in the past and for the most part it does ok, except for my head movements

Thanks

View attachment 173167 View attachment 173168
[Here is my GoPro mount

1 - 20 of 23 Posts