BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many year I used Thurlowleather gloves. His deerskin is wonderfull.
Now, looks like he is out of business (can you contact him? if so, let me know).
His phones are disconnect and he is not receiving e-mails for more than one year.

Do you know any good Deerskin craftsmanship who does custom made gloves?

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's not exactly what you are asking for because they aren't custom but Lee Parks has some nice deerskin and elkskin gloves. I have a pair of DeerSports PCi gloves in Black & Tan that I really like.

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
I recently bought a pair of Olympia Deerskin gloves at a Portland Cycle Gear shop for about $30. They are simple one layer gloves, but fit well and are very comfortable. I used to have a pair of Held gloves that were much better quality, but are getting harder to find (and are quite a bit more expensive, but a lot better quality).

·
Registered
368 Posts
pedavids said:
I got mine from Chilhowee, good people to work with.

http://www.chilhowee.net/mens_gloves.html

+1 for the Chilhowee. I was about to buy a pair of Lee Parks but decided to give the Chilhowees a try about 2 months ago. I really liked the fact that the deerskins are thinner than traditional winter gloves; however I have only tested them down to 37 degrees (so far).

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
strsout said:
Do you know any good Deerskin craftsmanship who does custom made gloves?
I understand why you like deerskin. I wore them for over twenty years. I think the first year they are the best you can ride with but there always seemed to be not quite right after they really got wet. I used to keep my last pair in the panier so I could switch if it looked like it was going to really get wet.

I was forced to buy a pair if expensive BMW gloves 'Air Flow 2' a few years ago after my gloves got real wet and stretched on a trip. The BMW gloves were not only comfortable, but seemed to take a soaking fairly well and there was no color transfer ever.. even when I got them really soaked. With the heated grips I can still use them till the temps were in the low 40s. In the summer they were the coolest gloves I have ever had.

The reason I almost didn't buy the BMW gloves was they were twice as expensive (about $90) as any deerskin gloves I ever bought. I will go into my third season next year with them and that is a record for me. They are pretty much exactly like they were 3 months after I bought them. Solid, cool, comfortable, never have any dye transfer and no signs of seam fatigue. The velcro on the wrist holds the glove on and they are multiple layers. I had older deerskin gloves wear away on the pavement. They were soft and comfortable but that also contributed to the wear away..

If you have not looked at any BMW gloves I would recommend you take a peek before you get invest in an unknown..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts