BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a trailer to pull behind my LT. it has some damage and I’ve done some glass work in the past but a couple of these I need just a little guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ll start here:)). Just wondering if I need to cut away the piece in the first pic. The second looks like it was originally filled with resin and shaped if that makes sense. Thanks in advance. Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Once you get it repaired you will have a great trailer. I have one like it and it pulls great. It will cost you 2 or 3 miles per gallon. It is nice to have those power assisted brakes pulling a trailer. I never know it's back there unless I am backing up.dd

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am no expert, but you may be dealing with SMC which is similar to glass but uses different products to repair your local auto body supply house could help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took trailer to repair shop, dang i wish i would have sat down... $2000 min in repair work, yup I'll step up and do the work.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Took trailer to repair shop, dang i wish i would have sat down... $2000 min in repair work, yup I'll step up and do the work.
I'll not claim "expert" regarding the skill required for repair either. However, one of my (too many) careers was in selling equipment, tooling, and supplies to manufacturers of such products. Depending on volume, these trailers were probably built with the outer shell being done in a mold. In the process, the mold is meticulously cleaned, polished, and kept free of contamination. At least, the outer shell is formed in the mold possibly using a fine layer of non-woven fiber & resin. Additional layers could be applied for strength.

I had one customer who used a process called Reactive Injection Molding. That is where the mold was sprayed with the finish coat by a spray gun, and then the mold was closed, the liquified substrate (molten plastic) was pumped in, cured under controlled heating, and after a set time, the mold was separated, to reveal a shiny finished tractor fender. In this case, it was not fiberglass, but some kind of thermoset plastic compound.

This trailer looks much like it was built in a process similar to boat hull manufacturing. Repairing it will be similar to the challenges of repairing a damaged boat hull. If you have or know of a marine repair or supply shop, perhaps you can get some good advice, and purchase a kit to do the repair yourself. Key will be to follow the instructions, get the glass substrate properly prepped, matting wet, layered in without air bubbles, and within "set-up" time of the resin. In addition to the chemical ratios of the resin/catalyst, fiberglass tends to have an overall "cure" time that must be allowed to run its course before final finishing. If you try to finish it too soon, a shrinkage line could form in the repair area. Follow the instructions, and it should do fine.

If you are an incurable tinkerer (like me), the repair itself could become an enjoyable adventure in itself. Sometimes, "the story" of a project is more important than "perfection." If you are a perfectionist...then this could be miserable drudgery, and perhaps better left for a professional.:)

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your post. I own a 27ft sailboat that that i have completely restored and had to do some hull work. You are right the journey is what its all about. The work is not perfect but I love it. I hope this journey will be the same.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The journey has been amazing restoring this trailer. It is now ready for paint.. It needs new tires and it has 2 ply on it now and im wondering about staying with that or would 4 or 6 ply be to stiff? any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
The journey has been amazing restoring this trailer. It is now ready for paint.. It needs new tires and it has 2 ply on it now and im wondering about staying with that or would 4 or 6 ply be to stiff? any thoughts?
If two ply tires are what the factory used, I would stay with them, particularly if this trailer has suspension. The suspension and tires should be a tuned unit and changing tires can upset the balance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts