BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add a top case to my "12" R12RT. Leaning toward the Givi as it is larger and the "AdMore" lighting kit allows for running & directional lights but read good things about the Shad products also. My wife is an occaisional passenger so I have her comfort in mind also. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
204 Posts
mrrick said:
Looking to add a top case to my "12" R12RT. Leaning toward the Givi as it is larger and the "AdMore" lighting kit allows for running & directional lights but read good things about the Shad products also. My wife is an occaisional passenger so I have her comfort in mind also. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Givi and Shad both make numerous top cases. Which particular models are you referring to?
Shad is also made by Givi, as their "economy" line.

You might check out Hepco & Becker. I've owned Givi, H&B and BMW cases and the H&B stuff is best value for the money. Much more solid than Givi, but less expensive than BMW.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 45,000 km on my Givi Tech46 case. The Monokey design is very handy. Zero problems. Removing the red document holder on the inside is a good idea.
No knowledge of Shad products.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had a Givi 46 on my V-Strom and it's a very nice case. I chose the Shad SH50 for the RT though. Primary reason was that with the Givi you always needed a key to open it. Not a big deal but was irritating enough for me. The Shad is fully functional and the key is only needed to lock or remove. I feel the quality is a little better on the Shad but can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Travman said:
I had a Givi 46 on my V-Strom and it's a very nice case. I chose the Shad SH50 for the RT though. Primary reason was that with the Givi you always needed a key to open it. Not a big deal but was irritating enough for me. The Shad is fully functional and the key is only needed to lock or remove. I feel the quality is a little better on the Shad but can't go wrong with either.
I also went with the Shad SH50 and I can't say enough good things about the case and their customer service. The case looks great in Titanium and matches my RT very well (Thunder grey and "Titanium"). It is very functional, easy to install and simple to use and secure.
I did have a small issue with the weld on one of the 4 brackets holding the plate on at the weld releasing. I called Shad and they send overnight a whole new installation kit with just a digitial photo of the bracket as evidence of the weld failure.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Givi E55 top case. I've had no troubles with it but the wife was not happy with the shape of the Givi backrest. It looks like half of a log so she was leaning on the high point of the backrest. I had to reshape and recover it with the original cover and it suits her much better. I hope this is helpful to you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The difference for me came down to not needing a key to open and close the Shad case. The Shad's locking mechanism works exactly like our side cases, with three key positions...lock, unlock and remove.
The givi case requires the use of a key each and every time to open it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your input. I can understand the possible inconvenience of having to use a key everytime with the Givi and the back rest on the Shad looks more like LT comfort but still having a hard time getting by that "Admore" light kit for the Maxia 55. The more attention I get from behind, hopefully the better off I'll be. Will head for the dealer today and take a look at the Shad. Thanks again

·
Registered
296 Posts
mrrick said:
Thanks all for your input. I can understand the possible inconvenience of having to use a key everytime with the Givi and the back rest on the Shad looks more like LT comfort but still having a hard time getting by that "Admore" light kit for the Maxia 55. The more attention I get from behind, hopefully the better off I'll be. Will head for the dealer today and take a look at the Shad. Thanks again
I bought the Shad SH50 about a year ago. It's been great and much nicer than the Givi while looking better on the bike than the OEM 49L topcase. If you do decide to get the Shad don't forget to order the RT specific adapter plates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Shad SH48 and love the look. I think it looks better than the BMW box and the two piece back pad satisfies my wife when riding pillion. I get a lot of compliments and it's less than half the cost of the BMW box. Like others I like not needing the key to open unless it's been locked. The rack mount looks good when the box is off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Sh50 and like the fit, color matches and the ability to open without a key. The only thing I have an issue with is the lid does not stay open when loading or unloading. I prop it up with a stick. Does anyone else have this problem? I thought about replacing the tethers with longer ones so that the lid leans back further. It can be a pain when loading and unloading.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I always find it interesting that people spend 20K for a BMW motorcycle and fuss over the cost of the top case which fits the stock rack and looks and works great. I mean, even if the Shad is half the cost, it's not BMW quality nor does it use the same ignition key or luggage rack. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
955 Posts
For many of us, the only reason we can afford $20K for a BMW is that we spend our resources carefully. I am not aware of any way in which the BMW case is better quality. The Shad case is less than half the cost of the slightly smaller BMW case which is reportedly made by Shad. Yes, a separate key is slightly more inconvenient, but I've had $30K cars that required separate ignition and door keys. It takes minimal thought and effort to pick out the correct key on my ring - there is no way I can justify an extra $500+ for a case with a BMW logo. I worked too hard to earn that cash.

Larry

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the shad top case the wife has a giva on her burgman. I like the Shad better don't need a key to open it , if you leave it unlocked which I do most of the time. I don't see the point of buying a BMW one just to have one less key to carry. The Shad and Givi are both good quality for a lot less. Some people feel the need to have brand names ie. Harley rides you have to have everything they own have Harley Davidson on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
R1200RG said:
I always find it interesting that people spend 20K for a BMW motorcycle and fuss over the cost of the top case which fits the stock rack and looks and works great. I mean, even if the Shad is half the cost, it's not BMW quality nor does it use the same ignition key or luggage rack. Just my 2 cents.
+1

I thought that I would buy the Shad or Givi for all the reasons posted in this thread but I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the BMW case.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts