BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Givi top case with the break light option. I inserted the connection piece in the top case that has the two metal connection cylinders that protrude out a little bit to make a connection with the flat connection piece that installs in the support rack. I inserted this piece into the case from the inside of the case and the connection cylinders are about 1/32 of an inch recessed into the case. They do not make contact with the support rack piece. The directions stopped at the part were you install this piece and the wire it to the bike.

I too the top case off the bike and put it on its side on the back seat. I held some wire to the connection piece on the case to the one on the rack and the lights worked so it is defiantly a bad connection when the top case is mounted on the bike.

Question, are you support to insert the connector that goes in the top case from the inside of the case as I did?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes, those Givi instructions suck! The one that got me was the lack of clarity on the connector that goes into the plate - you have to put it in from the TOP, not push it up from underneath! Duh. I also found that if I removed the two rubber stops at the back top of the plate the box sat more firmly and was easier to put on and off. Maybe those rubber stops are preventing the connector from seating properly? Pull them out and try it - you can always push them back in.

Unfortunately I bought the E52-NF which came with the lights already installed, so can't help you on that. HOWEVER, why not try it the other way anyway? Can't hurt and the worst that will happen is it'll not fit properly and you'll have to change it back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the connector in the rack in from underneath. I will remove it and put it in from the top tonight.

Not sure what rubber stops you are talking about, I don't have any on the bottom of my case that I recall.

·
Registered
469 Posts
kemmons said:
I put the connector in the rack in from underneath. I will remove it and put it in from the top tonight.

Not sure what rubber stops you are talking about, I don't have any on the bottom of my case that I recall.
There's your problem.

The rubber stops are on the plate - 4 of them, one in each corner. They stop the case bouncing and vibrating. The ones I removed were at the back as they were preventing the case from seating and locking correctly. I took them out for now, and I plan to 'file' them down and put them back in when I return to the US later. My UK bike has all 4 stops in place, but this one doesn't have the brake-light connector...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts