BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if this constitutes a ghetto mod

Cost: $6 (not including butler cup holder off old harley)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Seems like a safe bet!

·
Registered
335 Posts
The cost is clearly ghetto. If you had spent over $300, the same thing might have been taken for OEM. By the way, what is it - a beer keg holder?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Sorry, not approved for Ghetto use. *******? YES! :D

According to the rules Ghetto mods must not look ghetto. ;) Seems a bit contradictory, but that's the rules. :deal: It also cannot just be something adopted from another bike, it needs be original, functional and/or serve a new purpose never seen before and generally speaking - must be either hand built or assembled from dissimilar pieces. In other words, inventive or innovative.

For a complete list of all the rules send $5.00, nah, make that $10.00 to my PayPal account. :D

On the other hand, if you were to use one of these:

where it actually opened and then clamped down on your Big Gulp without smashing the cup I might reconsider. :wave

·
Registered
498 Posts
Does this qualify for Ghetto mod then?
The boot on my lower fork bridge ball joint was torn. Plenty of grease, and no slop. BMW does not make a replacement boot, you have to buy the new ball joint at $117! I decided to remove the bridge and boot, and fit a small section of mountain bike tire inner tube over the greasy joint. PERFECT FIT. I reused the lower metal wire clip, and for the top I used .032 stainless steel lockwire. Pretty happy about that one.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tips727 said:
The cost is clearly ghetto. If you had spent over $300, the same thing might have been taken for OEM. By the way, what is it - a beer keg holder?
The butler holds a 32oz insulated cup with a no leak straw ... I also have a small "bow" that I think is for a 20oz cup ... It does hold a big gulp perfectly

·
Registered
476 Posts
rhawk said:
Ghetto Mod ?
I Love It ....
How about this ?
You smoke while you ride? Those cigarettes must burn down awful fast with the wind.... :histerica

Actually that's a nice job given the cassette would almost never be used so I think it qualifies (IMHO).

·
Registered
185 Posts
so rhawk, besides the lighter, what else did you end up with. I like the extra room. could you have added a mp3 port to replace the cassette? curious minds want to know

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
Does this qualify for Ghetto mod then?
The boot on my lower fork bridge ball joint was torn. Plenty of grease, and no slop. BMW does not make a replacement boot, you have to buy the new ball joint at $117! I decided to remove the bridge and boot, and fit a small section of mountain bike tire inner tube over the greasy joint. PERFECT FIT. I reused the lower metal wire clip, and for the top I used .032 stainless steel lockwire. Pretty happy about that one.....
Only if you used safety wire twister pliers on the .032 wire, but using stainless instead of bailing wire was a very nice touch. Hey, we have high standards here in the Ghetto. :D

Ah, what the heck, since you saved $117.00 :eek: , you could have used a zip tie (black only though) and still been:
APPROVED!
:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
FuzzyWuzHe said:
The butler holds a 32oz insulated cup with a no leak straw ... I also have a small "bow" that I think is for a 20oz cup ... It does hold a big gulp perfectly
So then, you've actually got a "Sippy Cup" ? :histerica

:abduct:

That's a FIRST!

APPROVED! :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea the $6 includes the tube to the brake mount .... and it's not just a zippy cup .... it's an insulated zippy cup ... huge difference

·
Registered
438 Posts
ebear695 said:
so rhawk, besides the lighter, what else did you end up with. I like the extra room. could you have added a mp3 port to replace the cassette? curious minds want to know
What's inside the little box at the back of the tray is the power source for my Gps, and a power outlet for charging your phone, or whatever. It just made sense to me to put the fire starter in the outlet (instead of just a cap).
I don't listen to music when I ride, so I took out the cassette player (which is also the radio and all the audio system brains) and used the un-switched radio power for the two sockets. All the voltage runs through the circuit breaker, and the switch is for the Gps power.....I used a "stingray" from a salvage yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Only if you used safety wire twister pliers on the .032 wire, but using stainless instead of bailing wire was a very nice touch. Hey, we have high standards here in the Ghetto. :D

Ah, what the heck, since you saved $117.00 :eek: , you could have used a zip tie (black only though) and still been:
APPROVED! :thumb::thumb:
That's why I check into this site...Ron your a HOOT. :rotf:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts