BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather-proof cap on the top case accessory socket came off its mount while we were on a long ride. I think the self-locking pivot pin fell out because the cap had been fitted with the pin vertical not horizontal. Anyway, I bought another cap from my dealer and started to try to fit it last weekend. I've taken the case off and removed the screw holding the plate under the speaker but I can't get the plate to come off the two lugs at the top. Anyone know how to get this bit off so I can finish the job and get Katie back on the road?

Thanks,
Keith

PS I have looked in the HoW but couldn't find anything. ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
From memory where the socket is mounted to the bike there is 2 screws to be undone and the accessory socket plate comes away from the top case.and there was a bolt around the power socket to stop it coming out.
you can buy the complete sockets cap and all in australia from any good auto electricians shop.

i think it was how it all went together. its been ages since i pulled the top socket off.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Rockdoc said:
The weather-proof cap on the top case accessory socket came off its mount while we were on a long ride. I think the self-locking pivot pin fell out because the cap had been fitted with the pin vertical not horizontal. Anyway, I bought another cap from my dealer and started to try to fit it last weekend. I've taken the case off and removed the screw holding the plate under the speaker but I can't get the plate to come off the two lugs at the top. Anyone know how to get this bit off so I can finish the job and get Katie back on the road?

Thanks,
Keith

PS I have looked in the HoW but couldn't find anything. ;)
There are two Torx screws -- one on the inside of the panel, towards the top, and a second directly under the bottom edge of the panel. Once both are out, the bottom of the panel pivots away from the trunk as the panel comes free. The socket is held in place by a large (22mm??) nut.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, both. I'm sure I'll be able to sort it now.

Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts