BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding accessing the oil filter on an 09 LT (Hydraulic Center Stand). Just how much of the Center Stand assembly has to be removed to gain access to one of the three bolts on the oil filter plate?

·
Registered
876 Posts
None of the centre stand assembly has to be moved, as long as you have a ball-end 5mm allen key for the rear-most M6 screw. It's a close fit but it comes out ok with just the small stone guard removed. Remember to fill the oil filter on the bench prior to installing (less crankshft turns with low/no oil pressure that way.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
K100Dennis said:
None of the centre stand assembly has to be moved, as long as you have a ball-end 5mm allen key for the rear-most M6 screw. It's a close fit but it comes out ok with just the small stone guard removed. Remember to fill the oil filter on the bench prior to installing (less crankshft turns with low/no oil pressure that way.
Stone guard is often referred to as skid plat here in the States.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I take the skid plate off, but not the frame for oil changes. I don't have the ball-style hex wrenches. I get to all the fasteners with a hex key in a socket.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the responses, those were the answers I was hoping for. If I have any clearance problems, I might even put a small dimple in the cross bar right where the head of the bolt is to allow just a little more room.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
656 Posts
No need to mess with the center stand just pop the skid plate off, and drain her thing to remember is that the oil filter is a wet filter meaning when you loosen those three bolt's on the oil filter cover oil is going to start dumping out. Some people will drain it down first using the oil drain others just take the filter cover off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts