BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seem to remember on my ’93 K1100LT that there was a hose/vent attachment to the battery. I see that there is something similar on my ’06 K1200LT that hangs behind the center stand which can be viewed if you look under the bike. I noticed one or two drips after my hour ride on Thursday. I didn’t trace the source (where the house is connected on the other end) so I thought I’d ask here. What is that hose connected to? Battery? I know you all would know. I couldn’t find anything in the Clymer’s on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, seeing as how I just did this on my bike, the hose that shoots down just in front of the rear wheel is attached to the brake pump reservoir. It splits at a Y and goes to both, a black cap with a 6mm Allen head plastic cap marked "FFE". Mystery solved.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering. So it shouldn't be hanging down in the first place then?

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Thanks for answering. So it shouldn't be hanging down in the first place then?
If what you are seeing is the ABS reservoir vent hose, then you want it hanging down below any painted surfaces.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responding!

That's what it is, the ABS reservoir vent hose. (See attachment)

Are you saying that to have it below any painted surface would mean that it seeps now and then when the KLT is under normal use and that the fluid damages the painted finish that it comes in contact with?

Since I just bought the KLT I'm not sure if I should be concerned with a couple of drips from the hose after a 2 hour ride.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Thanks for responding!

That's what it is, the ABS reservoir vent hose. (See attachment)

Are you saying that to have it below any painted surface would mean that it seeps now and then when the KLT is under normal use and that the fluid damages the painted finish that it comes in contact with?

Since I just bought the KLT I'm not sure if I should be concerned with a couple of drips from the hose after a 2 hour ride.

What do you think?
I don't think it should drip as a matter of course, but if you fill the reservoir with worn pads and then push the pistons in to change the pads, you will push fluid out through the vent line. I can't explain why your bike leaked a few drops unless the reservoir was overfilled and the abs warmed up enough during the ride to puke a little fluid.

And, yes, glycol based brake fluids will do a number on most types of paint. DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are bad for paint and some rubber and polymer seals and hoses.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it should drip as a matter of course, but if you fill the reservoir with worn pads and then push the pistons in to change the pads, you will push fluid out through the vent line. I can't explain why your bike leaked a few drops unless the reservoir was overfilled and the abs warmed up enough during the ride to puke a little fluid.

And, yes, glycol based brake fluids will do a number on most types of paint. DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are bad for paint and some rubber and polymer seals and hoses.
Voyager,

I'll keep an eye on it and check the reservoirs for over filling.

Appreciate everybody's help on understanding this.

Have a great evening!

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts