BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind folks,

I made the decision and I'm buying the 99 K1200LTC I had been asking questions about elsewhere. Plans are to pick it up Saturday. As of tonight, I already have insurance for it!

I will probably ask a zillion newbie questions here so please bear with me. Here's a photo of it (if I figured how to do it correctly!).

Jon

Attachments

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
jdsd-tourteam said:
Kind folks,

I made the decision and I'm buying the 99 K1200LTC I had been asking questions about elsewhere. Plans are to pick it up Saturday. As of tonight, I already have insurance for it!

I will probably ask a zillion newbie questions here so please bear with me. Here's a photo of it (if I figured how to do it correctly!).

Jon
Nice color.

Interesting pin stripes...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ted Shred said:
Nice color.

Interesting pin stripes...
You don't like 'em! :(

This is the first bike I purchased that has owner-added pin striping, etc. Also, my first BMW bike. So I've been really working "outside of the box" here.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
jdsd-tourteam said:
You don't like 'em! :(
Didn't say that:)

I'm not a fan of pin stripes but those are the best ones I've seen on an LT (there have been some BAD ones:eek:)

They do work well with the Basalt Grey paint...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think you have made a good choice...and you chose the best (and fastest) color!! Ask lots of questions, the folks on this site are a wealth of information for virtually anything you may wish to do to your ride. There are many great ergonomic farkles, performance modifications/upgrades, communications/navigation products, etc. available for all model years of this great bike. The technical expertise and troubleshooting wisdom of many of the members is astounding; they will save you thousands of dollars and much aggravation with advice and guidance based on their own personal experiences and those of others.

Welcome to the asylum!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
That's a great bike

I think it is a very good looking bike and...
the early models 99-00 are great bikes.
I wouldn't trade my 2000 for a newer version. This bike has the right stuff.
Congrats. You're gonna love it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Welcome to the family. Remember a few things:
1. Hands off the front brake when making slow speed (parking lot speed) turns.
2. Head up and look straight ahead when coming to a stop.
3. Use the side stand to shut her off, push her forward until you feel her stop (in first gear with the clutch out) and always leave her in first gear. If you don't she will get lazy and take a nap on you (fall over).

Best of luck and ride safely, you're gonna love her.

Ray

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just to reiderate

Welcome aboard.
I think I like the pin stripes :)

She is a great ride just read below one more time :dance:

RiderRay said:
Welcome to the family. Remember a few things:
1. Hands off the front brake when making slow speed (parking lot speed) turns.
2. Head up and look straight ahead when coming to a stop.
3. Use the side stand to shut her off, push her forward until you feel her stop (in first gear with the clutch out) and always leave her in first gear. If you don't she will get lazy and take a nap on you (fall over).

Best of luck and ride safely, you're gonna love her.

Ray

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:
Nice looking bike. I hope it gives you many great miles.
Hey Neil, you should have said "I hope it gives you many great Smiles." ;) :D

·
Registered
938 Posts
Steve_R said:
Hey Neil, you should have said "I hope it gives you many great Smiles." ;) :D
more miles = even more smiles

As for the paint job, you are going to have to sit at gas stations forever talking to everyone about the bike, paint job, and how much they want one. On the way back from NC, someone talked to me for half an hour about nothing. I'm about ready to paint mine all black so it won't show stone chips and people stop talking to me. I like telling them about the bike, but I don't want to sit around and talk bikes when I could be riding.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all. I am excited!!!!

And thanks for the three things to keep in mind. I want to prolong the LT from any napping!

BTW - I know I will need to replace the windshield. I am about 6' and my SO is not short. If anyone can suggest particular departures (or not) from standatd windshield height and shape, it would be welcomed.

Jon

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike :bmw:

Hope you enjoy it!

I have learned to love my first BMW and that is for sure.

Heed the words of wisdom from above post as they are "word up", and will keep the shiny side up on a LT ;)

You will join the club, sooner, then later :rolleyes:

Be safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
jdsd-tourteam said:
Thanks to all. I am excited!!!!

And thanks for the three things to keep in mind. I want to prolong the LT from any napping!

BTW - I know I will need to replace the windshield. I am about 6' and my SO is not short. If anyone can suggest particular departures (or not) from standatd windshield height and shape, it would be welcomed.

Jon
JOn,
Before you spend a bunch of $$ on a new W/S take a look @ the "Laminar LIp" http://www.laminarlip.com/k1200lt.php . It maybe an inexpensive solution. I've been using one for years on my '99 with 145k on the clock & find it works well for me. Some don't care for the look on them, but then I'm not into the bike being a show piece, just functional.
Chris

·
Registered
370 Posts
Jon,
Great looking bike ! Welcome to the LT Cult...uhh I mean family. :cool: Below is a link to a web site for one type of windshields. I am seriously looking at one of these for my 2000LTC.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/

Here's a suggestion:

Get a 3-ring binder
3 ring hole puncher
several reams of paper

Then be prepared to printout a zillion pieces of paper with all sorts of technical advice and pictures taken during repairs/modifications/suggestions. You will build a repair manual second to none. Just cut/copy and paste into a Word document, saved it to a file and print it out.

I have a bunch already saved in Word, if you want me to email them to you.

So remember...when you leave it on the side stand and it smokes when you start it up you have several choices to explain why it smokes:

1) Your part of the mosquito abatement program
2) Your practicing for the next James Bond movie
3) It's a diesel !

And remember:

It's heavy, heavy and ..oh yea did I tell you it's heavy?

Search the archives and/or U-tube for the video(s) of how to pick it up by yourself.

Good Luck! Have fun ! Ride safe!

P.S. Were you able to talk them down on the price?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Save your pennies

Now you need a chip and exhaust. Best aftermarket idtems I every bought for my 99 LT.

Santa got me clear turn signal lens (front) and I shear makes the bike look newer.

Enjoy the 99, it has bought me many miles/smiles.

·
Registered
714 Posts
One other thing you'll need to know right away. Don't overfill the fuel tank! When I first got my bike I didn't think there could be a way to screw this up and I was surprised after reading the forums here that it is possible.

If you over fill the tank you can clog the fuel canister/vent on the tank and possibly collapse the tank as you empty it by riding. If you look into the fuel filler you will see a "neck". Only fill to the bottom of the neck.

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys.... and thanks for some ideas on windshields. True that OEM W/S are polycarbonate and most aftermarket are not? Either last longer? These are on the $$$ side (much more than the one on my ST!!). I don't want to make a mistake here. I guess the #1 thing I want in a shield is that it will create the most wind/noise protection for 2-up riding at highway speeds. After that, I guess moving the shield down for in-town and 1-up (??).

I see some like a short W/S (like many inches) - guess so their head is above the turbulant zone? I would think I would want same height as OEM? I do remember that I can easily see over it when I lower it. Are any W/S really "clear" enough to look through them as you ride?

Chip - what, where, how much???

I saw someone (here) putting on a titanium muffler on a farkled-out LT. Looked pretty sweet. Does it give better MPG? Sound better? Just a simple slip-on?

Clear turn signal lens... that sounds (er, looks) rather sweet!

And KIC - I would very much like those docs you are willing to send me. The binder idea is smart.

My thinking is that what I do to the bike, it's to make it a better grand tourer - better MPG, better comfort 2-up, better tire mileage, safer (more visibility for both others and for me), etc.

Jon

1 - 20 of 41 Posts