BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two more weeks and I am heading for Alaska. Just had the bike service for the 36K and new tires. The valves were all in order no adjustments. Can not wait. I will try keep a day by day log for miles and locations. I will make another thread at ride tales once I get going. I am very excited to start this trip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You will enjoy the ride. I did the trip to the Arctic Circle 2 years ago. Once I hit the Alaskan Highway the hills, views and animals were great. It is a trip you will never forget.

I took an extra gas can just in case and it served me will.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I saw someone is selling their extra fuel cell they used on their 1200GS on the ADV site in case you're interested.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I'm envious of the trip you're about to make. Maybe someday... :)
Until then I'll look forward to your reports. Good luck and safe travels.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Extra stuff

I bought one of those tire gun repair kits. I was told to drink a lot of water even when it is cold and we taking a extra fuel, via good'ld red 2 gallon gas can, which will later throw away. Have my laptop for pictrues, camera and about 8 days worth of clothe Taking heated gear for up north. I was going around and around on what helmet. I have 1/2 helmet that I love to wear sometimes. I know, I know, I know, but there is something about the wind hitting you in the face. The smell and I seems I see more, but anyway I will take my Nolan Flip up. Be safer, warmer, better rain protection. I am taking my air-flow boots with rain master covers. 4 tie downs for the ferry ride from Haines City to Bellington. Should be fun. 2 more weeks.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
motorman587 said:
I bought one of those tire gun repair kits. I was told to drink a lot of water even when it is cold and we taking a extra fuel, via good'ld red 2 gallon gas can, which will later throw away. Have my laptop for pictrues, camera and about 8 days worth of clothe Taking heated gear for up north. I was going around and around on what helmet. I have 1/2 helmet that I love to wear sometimes. I know, I know, I know, but there is something about the wind hitting you in the face. The smell and I seems I see more, but anyway I will take my Nolan Flip up. Be safer, warmer, better rain protection. I am taking my air-flow boots with rain master covers. 4 tie downs for the ferry ride from Haines City to Bellington. Should be fun. 2 more weeks.
And just how do you think you're going to sleep the night before the trip?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good luck with the prep.
I predict this will be a good thread to watch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a great time...what route?

Motorman,

You will have a great time! Might be cold, though.

I did this ride last year in Late April, May and early June, and it was COLD past Whitehorse. In fact, I turned around and went back to the HD dealer in Whitehorse for an electric vest. (trip saver...very comfortable after that) I was on my 05 GS, so you'll have a lot more protection. I rode in snow quite a few times, but all the roads were open. Some of the dirt roads were nasty muddy, but most were nicely graded and fast. In general the roads were great, and I had to find off road...most roads were paved. If I were going up there again, (When I go up there again...) I would take my 02 LT and skip the off road...the best parts of the trip were on-road, and I would have been a lot more comfortable.

What route are you planning? I started from California, went up to Vancouver Island for a few days, then North through Whistler. East through the Peace River valley (to visit family) and then up the Alcan. Rode up to Ross River (dont recommend it...very creepy place) out of Watson Lake and looped back down toward White Horse off road. (500 miles of MUD)

Then Haines Junction, Tok, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Tok, Haines Junction, to the ferry in Haines, and back to Washington.

Great trip....I'll post a few pics when I get my laptop back.

If you haven't done so yet, pick up a copy of the Milestone (I think it's called) It has a bunch of cool stuff listed (like the Liard Hot Springs...don't miss them) and tons of good info, like ferry schedules, ect.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Doing that know.

grifscoots said:
And just how do you think you're going to sleep the night before the trip?
Can not sleep now, seriously, I just can not wait.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our route

Hootis said:
Motorman,

You will have a great time! Might be cold, though.

I did this ride last year in Late April, May and early June, and it was COLD past Whitehorse. In fact, I turned around and went back to the HD dealer in Whitehorse for an electric vest. (trip saver...very comfortable after that) I was on my 05 GS, so you'll have a lot more protection. I rode in snow quite a few times, but all the roads were open. Some of the dirt roads were nasty muddy, but most were nicely graded and fast. In general the roads were great, and I had to find off road...most roads were paved. If I were going up there again, (When I go up there again...) I would take my 02 LT and skip the off road...the best parts of the trip were on-road, and I would have been a lot more comfortable.

What route are you planning? I started from California, went up to Vancouver Island for a few days, then North through Whistler. East through the Peace River valley (to visit family) and then up the Alcan. Rode up to Ross River (dont recommend it...very creepy place) out of Watson Lake and looped back down toward White Horse off road. (500 miles of MUD)

Then Haines Junction, Tok, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Tok, Haines Junction, to the ferry in Haines, and back to Washington.

Great trip....I'll post a few pics when I get my laptop back.

If you haven't done so yet, pick up a copy of the Milestone (I think it's called) It has a bunch of cool stuff listed (like the Liard Hot Springs...don't miss them) and tons of good info, like ferry schedules, ect.

Ryan
I am really the third wheel. This route is a planned by a friend and his other friend. I just tagging along. They are good friends of mine and I work with. The plan is June 7th I am heading north. They are on June 8th heading to Key West. The want to do the Key West to Alaska ride in 30 days by IBA. Which I am not into that. So I am doing my 500 to 600 mile day and we are hooking up in Great Falls, MO or is it MT. Montana which will be Sunday the 10th. We do a border crossing on Monday and end up in Prince George, then Stewart, Watson Lake, Stewart Crossing, Deta Junction, Coldfoot, Deadhorse, Cold Foot, Denali, Valdez, Haines Junction, Haines, Ferry back to the US then home through Grand Teton Park.

Just got the LT back today. I will be taken a lot of pictures will have the laptop with me. So I going to try to record as much as I can. I figure this is the last frontier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I rode through Alaska 2 years ago and can't wait to go back. The roads leave a lot to be desired, but they weren't as bad as I had heard. Never had a problem getting fuel, but then again I didn't go any further north than Fairbanks. Keep an eye out for the moose.....they like to stand in the middle of the roads. Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
motorman587 said:
Two more weeks and I am heading for Alaska. Just had the bike service for the 36K and new tires. The valves were all in order no adjustments. Can not wait. I will try keep a day by day log for miles and locations. I will make another thread at ride tales once I get going. I am very excited to start this trip.
Heres a quick tip, keep a little radio shack tape recorder in your tank bag or chest pocket, that way you can note things as they happen. As a LEO you know for a fact that to much Happens in the day to day, for a good memory (thats why you guys always take notes) this is the same as a note book only on the fly.
I have boxes of the tapes from over the years, and you can spit every thing into them and weed out what you don't need/want at edit time.
Rock

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
motorman587 said:
Enjoy your trip!

Tom

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Taking pictures.

UncleRock said:
Heres a quick tip, keep a little radio shack tape recorder in your tank bag or chest pocket, that way you can note things as they happen. As a LEO you know for a fact that to much Happens in the day to day, for a good memory (thats why you guys always take notes) this is the same as a note book only on the fly.
I have boxes of the tapes from over the years, and you can spit every thing into them and weed out what you don't need/want at edit time.
Rock
I will be taking pictures during the day. I have a camera mount and plan to take pictures and down load them to the laptop on a daily basics. I will e-mail them if the the hotel has internet, I suspect the further north I go, that will be limited.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I might bump into ya

There are 4 of us here in michigan that are leaving to go to Inuvik on June 8th . we all will be riding on RxxxxGS's . But we might see ya around Whitehorse . ...patric ...

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Try not to drop your bike . . . too many times! :rotf: I know you moto-coppers only specialize in parking lots and parades. I have a feeling there won't be many of those in Alaska. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulations Motorman, you'll be arriving in Alaska with the best possible opportunity to experience some nice riding weather (May/June) and lots of daylight. If you would have waited until July or August to visit Alaska, the quality of your ride here would be directly dependent on the quality of your rain suit. Currently the weather in Fairbanks is clear blue skies and about 70 degrees and there are a lot a bikes riding around town. Be safe and watch out for moose, they come out of no where and hitting one is like hitting a furry wall. You actually become a kind of human meat tenderizer. The state troopers come out and finish off the moose then give the meat to charity and you're left on your own to get going again, and some unfortunately don't survive the experience. If you want to PM me, I'll send you my cell phone number. If you make it to Fairbanks, give me a call and I'll sneak away from work and ride my LT with you to the Chatanika Lodge (north of Fairbanks) for a Alaskan Dredge Burger and a quick visit to an authentic Alaska gold dredge. It's impressive but it's hidden out of the way from most tourist). Whatever you do, be safe and enjoy the state. It's simply an incredible motorcycle ride!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
motorman587 said:
I will be taking pictures during the day. I have a camera mount and plan to take pictures and down load them to the laptop on a daily basics. I will e-mail them if the the hotel has internet, I suspect the further north I go, that will be limited.
If you have a solid mount for the camera, you can use the cable button (just zip it to the bars) see something cool just push the button. Depending on the camera of course.
Watch your pistols and your weed, they are a little touchy about that stuff, interferes with the hockey game or something :D
That be in the Canada place.
Rock

·
Registered
163 Posts
Travel well and looking forward to your pictures. Might see you on a ride to FL next winter..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts