BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 LT that has the AM/FM radio with the Cassette player. I use one of the dummy cassette tapes that has the cable output that plugs into the XM radio if I want to listen to that. Works really well, but that's only through the bikes front and back speakers. The wife and I have the best quality J&M headsets in the Nolan's and would like to find a way to get the radio output from the speakers to the headsets.

Some of you with LT's similar in age must have wanted to do the same and some have done it I would venture to say. I'd sure like to hear of your success and maybe a picture or a drawing of just how you went about it. I have no trouble wiring things and am not afraid of taking off the Tupperware to get to things. In the 4 months I've had the bike I think I've had it naked about 5 times now so that's old hat.

I've installed the J&M BMW CB/Intercom on the bike and that works great, but putting the XM into the sytem that way doesn't give you any control over the EQ of the sound and it's on the tinny side and almost no lows and you loose the variable sound levels you can set for high and low speeds through the radio.

Help me out here please. Thanks a bunch in advance for your time.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hi Tommy,

Try switching the AUX switch. Just a hunch.

If you are getting intercom and the CB radio in the head sets, that says the cabling is good. Everything should work fine with out any modifications.

How does the regular AM/FM radio work with the XM cassette removed? Does the Cassette player work with a cassette?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Does your LT have the factory intercom system? On my 2000 there is a switch on the intercom to turn the speakers on and off, when switched off, it puts the radio output through the headsets.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for the replies. On my '99, it's just the basic model. Does not have an intercom, just the radio. I mounted the J&M CB/Intercom with Aux input which is where I am getting CB/Intercom and the XM through the helmet.

Checked the radio and I don't have an Aux section in the radio. So I think I might have to take a look at getting the Bimmer cable for the car and installing that in the rear of the radio. Before I do that though, I'll wait until I have more reason to take the Stingray off again. Want to be sure that this radio will accept the automobile cable before I take time to search that out.

Just for the information... there is a J&M part that is made for Harleys (wash my mouth out) that is designed to be soldered to the + and - studs on the front speakers and then plugs into the Aux input on the J&M CB. That will give you radio through the headsets, but then you have no other input plug to plug in the XM or have the CB through the helmet.

I guess I could to that, and then solder in the other inputs and then be sure I only had one running at a time. I have the H.... part but decided that I'd be better off with the CB, Intercom and XM in the helmets. Guess you just can't have it all on a 12 year old bike.

Probably should look into an '09.

Later -

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,119 Posts
If you have the cassette player radio there is NO connector in the back for the audio input cable. Only the CD player radios have that connector. Sorry.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jzeiler - That's what I thought. I have had all of that apart before and didn't remember that extra set of plugs that I've seen in the post about this problem.

Well, you've saved me some time and I appreciate it.

Later

1 - 6 of 6 Posts