BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's me and I can't ride long distances, but I can't seem to get comfortable. I have MOPs and Backup and an inch thick gel pad and still am sore after 300 miles or so. I can't seem to find a comfortable riding position as I can't "stay still". I also wear a pair of bicycle riding shorts as well. By the end of the day I'm sore. My butts sore, my back is sore. I REALLY want to ride more than 300 miles in a day and get up the next day and ride again. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Charles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
the obvious question is... what sort of seat do you have? Still struggling with the OEM..? if so, get rid of it and get an aftermarket.... only real solution. plenty of threads about favourite types... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Bugman37 said:
Maybe it's me and I can't ride long distances, but I can't seem to get comfortable. I have MOPs and Backup and an inch thick gel pad and still am sore after 300 miles or so. I can't seem to find a comfortable riding position as I can't "stay still". I also wear a pair of bicycle riding shorts as well. By the end of the day I'm sore. My butts sore, my back is sore. I REALLY want to ride more than 300 miles in a day and get up the next day and ride again. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Charles
Many factors go into the possible answers to your question.......
Age (you didn't say), physical condition, years riding, bike fit, and others.
You might have to work into it......as in many rides. ie. ride conditioning.
I don't really like saddle pads. Rather have a good, well made saddle.
Stretch while you ride. Take breaks. Core conditioning. etc.
Good luck.
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,458 Posts
A key ingredient for me, in covering many comfortable miles in a day and repeating the next day, is to begin the ride well hydrated and stay so during. If I have a planned departure date for covering the miles, I begin the hydration process a day or so before lift off. Plain ole H2O for starters - then maybe a sports drink or two while traveling - but staying mainly with water.

So for me, in addition to the usual remedies of comfortable riding attire, ergonomic fitments such as beaded seat cover, backrest, etc; it's the hydration effort that enables back-to-back ~700 mile, 12 hour trips.

Good luck in your effort to improve on comfort and enjoyment of longish rides.
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
Dick said:
A key ingredient for me, in covering many comfortable miles in a day and repeating the next day, is to begin the ride well hydrated and stay so during. If I have a planned departure date for covering the miles, I begin the hydration process a day or so before lift off. Plain ole H2O for starters - then maybe a sports drink or two while traveling - but staying mainly with water.

So for me, in addition to the usual remedies of comfortable riding attire, ergonomic fitments such as beaded seat cover, backrest, etc; it's the hydration effort that enables back-to-back ~700 mile, 12 hour trips.

Good luck in your effort to improve on comfort and enjoyment of longish rides.
Plus 1 on Hydrating prior to a long trip & during the trip.
I use a camleback with water & drink OJ at fuel stops. Also eat power bars & not sweet snacks.

Bugman37 said:
Maybe it's me and I can't ride long distances, but I can't seem to get comfortable. I have MOPs and Backup and an inch thick gel pad and still am sore after 300 miles or so. I can't seem to find a comfortable riding position as I can't "stay still". I also wear a pair of bicycle riding shorts as well. By the end of the day I'm sore. My butts sore, my back is sore. I REALLY want to ride more than 300 miles in a day and get up the next day and ride again. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Charles

I was the same when I bought my LT. 300 to 400 miles was all I could do. In time (a year or so) I worked up to 600 or 700 miles per day but I still hurt till I replaced my stock seat. Now I can ride 1000 + mile days. A good seat makes a world of difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
You guys seem to have forgotten the real solution to this Gentlemans issue. Pedicures and manicures at regular intervals will cure your problem!!!! :histerica:histerica:histerica

BTW, if you don't believe it do a search for the word manicure or pedicure and you will be convinced!

Loren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
wa1200lt said:
You guys seem to have forgotten the real solution to this Gentlemans issue. Pedicures and manicures at regular intervals will cure your problem!!!! :histerica:histerica:histerica

BTW, if you don't believe it do a search for the word manicure or pedicure and you will be convinced!

Loren
I remember that thread........(just got a big shiver down my spine) yikes!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm pedicure and manicure...who would have thought that would solve my sore butt. lol I think it will take a combination of things, but probably riding more distance at a time to get my body used to it. I'm working on getting in to better shape as I think that will help keeping the beast upright at times. I'm turning 50 in July and I think the body doesn't recover quite as fast as if I were in my 20's either. I may have to wait until next year for a new seat....those are expensive!! (course what isn't on a BMW!! :D )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Just a reminder - you can cover the same distance at 120 mph as you can at 60 mph in half the time. :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Something that I saw for long distance riding is these: http://www.ldcomfort.com/

I personally haven't tried them.

I am starting a trip to CA and WA from MN for 2 1/2 weeks this next week (wife and I). I estimate 5300 miles - guess I will find out how comfortable things are.

Now if only there will be no snow......

Good suggestion on the hydration.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,171 Posts
I suffered with various seats and settled on a Russell with the built in suspention. That solved the butt problem and I can now go 5 or more 600 mile days in a row. The back is another issue. I have had a Backup back rest for 5 years and I never had it adjusted correctly. I suffered coming back from California to Alabama last year and I suffered last weekend going to Killington, VT. I did not suffer coming home. I adjusted the back rest from the full up position to the full down and that made all the difference in the world. Play with that back rest until you find the sweet spot - you will know when you do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Ride on the balls of your feet, not your instep. This preloads your tendons and helps engage your stomach and back muscles to hold yourself up......try it....Kieth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Try the PELVIS TILT...........rotate your pelvis to the rear.....like you were trying for a bigger "booty"......

It's my .02 cents, and I'm stickin' to it...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
I've never had a more comfortable seat than my Rick Mayor seat. But....I don't think I could ride at all if it weren't for the back rest. Once you have a back rest you notice the difference when you ride one without.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
I agree with the seat. On the other hand I have never wanted to ride 600-700 miles a day. I ride a couple hours get off for a break, go to a antique shop, have a pic nic whatever. What the hell is the hurry.

Just my two cents,

AL
Spokane
WA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
spokane1200lt said:
I agree with the seat. On the other hand I have never wanted to ride 600-700 miles a day. I ride a couple hours get off for a break, go to a antique shop, have a pic nic whatever. What the hell is the hurry.

Just my two cents,

AL
Spokane
WA
Let me guess... you are retired? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
The stock seat gave me the same issues as the Op.

The original seat looks good as it is contoured to the bike but it couldn’t be worse for the rider.

I used a beadrider and that helped. Especially in hot weather. But the ultimate answer was the Rocky Meyer seat. I drove to his shop (although he does mail order) and had the seat custom made to my butt. I do have a backrest also. Now the only reason I need to stop is to eat and sleep.

Here is the beadrider site, note the LT is on their home page :)
http://beadrider.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
I think some time in the seat helps me build up endurance. I still have the stock seat on my y2k ride. I'm 51 and the riding season for me just gets started in April and my butt gets a little uncomfortable at 1st and then improves with each ride. I find it hard to just jump on a bike with out building up a little endurance 1st and trying to ride long miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
I've been doing long rides since I first bought my LT. I bought it out of state, and my maiden voyage was over 700 miles of which 400 miles was in the rain. My butt did suffer with the stock seat though. Now, I have a Kontour seat, and it is maximum comfort and goodby to the sore butt syndrome. :D I bought it from a member of this site for an affordable sum. :D Hydration is very important, so 1+ on that. Also 1+ on conditioning too. For back to back big mile days, I like to stay in a place with a pool and spa; the exercise and stretching are like a reset button. Also, I meditate, breathe and relax with every mile I ride. This aids me to maintain a good riding posture and keeps me at peak alertness. Finally, it keeps things fresh to stop every few hours or less, as needed for fuel, food, sight seeing, or even a little cat nap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
I never had a problem with the stock seat, I think it's fine. I've done plenty of 800 mile days and the only thing that bothered me was my ears. The wind for such a long period of time even with the windshield up. Next long trip I'm going to wear ear plugs..
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top