BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from the parts dept of Atlantic Motoplex advising Nav for my GTL, which is due on Easter weekend, will cost $700 and change. The catch is, if the unit goes on the bike sales contract there is one more year of warranty than if invoiced separately. If you plan to buy the nav, get it on the bike purchase contract.

PS: It is snowing hard here and they are calling for 2"-4" tonight. Better order studded tires for the GTL.

·
Registered
70 Posts
crosswrap said:
Not sure, parts guy just said one more if it goes on the bike contract.
I'm not believing that for a minute. What he's trying to convince you is that GARMIN will HONOUR a warranty specified only thru BMW?????
NOT going to happen. Just wants the business and it's easier to "apologize" for the error AFTER.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
lowflyer2000 said:
I'm not believing that for a minute. What he's trying to convince you is that GARMIN will HONOUR a warranty specified only thru BMW?????
NOT going to happen. Just wants the business and it's easier to "apologize" for the error AFTER.
Bzzzzt. Wrong.

BMW has, for many years, covered accessories under different warranties depending on whether purchased with the bike or separately. The extension from 1 to 2 years (not the bike's full 3 years) is common.

And yes, Garmin will honor the warranty -- the only requirement is that you process the device through your dealer, who will forward it to Garmin -- Garmin handles the unit in whatever way BMW tells them the warranty status is.

EDIT: I just noticed you are up north -- because warranties are set by the BMW national organizations, my comments are limited to U.S. warranty policies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mneblett said:
Bzzzzt. Wrong.

BMW has, for many years, covered accessories under different warranties depending on whether purchased with the bike or separately. The extension from 1 to 2 years (not the bike's full 3 years) is common.

And yes, Garmin will honor the warranty -- the only requirement is that you process the device through your dealer, who will forward it to Garmin -- Garmin handles the unit in whatever way BMW tells them the warranty status is.

Yeah, this appears to be the case now too. I only found out by accident, might have gotten the Nav on a separate invoice and had less warranty coverage. Lesson: get it written in on the bike sales contract. :wave

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Nav IV has a 2 year warranty, so if you buy it at the same time as the bike, it sounds like you get an extra year's warranty... my dealer's not dealing on it.. he wants full MSRP...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
fluffy said:
The Nav IV has a 2 year warranty, so if you buy it at the same time as the bike, it sounds like you get an extra year's warranty... my dealer's not dealing on it.. he wants full MSRP...
Actooly, now I remember speaking with my dealer a few weeks ago about precisely this issue, and he confirmed the Nav IV is two years, regardless of whether or not purchased with the bike -- the previous statements still hold true about other accessories.

·
Registered
268 Posts
mneblett said:
Actooly, now I remember speaking with my dealer a few weeks ago about precisely this issue, and he confirmed the Nav IV is two years, regardless of whether or not purchased with the bike -- the previous statements still hold true about other accessories.

Well, if this is correct, then there's no point in paying full tilt for it to get no extra warranty.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Geezous! Checked on this with BMW Motorcycles of Omaha, and here is their (emailed) response:

"All hard accessories on the contract get the 3 year 36000 warranty"

What gives!?

fluffy said:
Well, if this is correct, then there's no point in paying full tilt for it to get no extra warranty.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
azari said:
Geezous! Checked on this with BMW Motorcycles of Omaha, and here is their (emailed) response:

"All hard accessories on the contract get the 3 year 36000 warranty"

What gives!?

Well, I think it's back to "get it on the purchase contract," because my dealer offered pretty competitive pricing rite off the top, and I would prefer to buy all in one place, at home. Can't wait to hear her go! :bmw:

·
Registered
70 Posts
crosswrap said:
Well, I think it's back to "get it on the purchase contract," because my dealer offered pretty competitive pricing rite off the top, and I would prefer to buy all in one place, at home. Can't wait to hear her go! :bmw:
Really hate to burst someones bubble..... but despite what "someones" telling you...there are NO extra warranty on the Nav IV when purchased with the bike. Applies when buying OEM accessories such as GS panniers etc.etc.
Let the first real "purchaser" tell us all different.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
lowflyer2000 said:
Really hate to burst someones bubble..... but despite what "someones" telling you...there are NO extra warranty on the Nav IV when purchased with the bike. Applies when buying OEM accessories such as GS panniers etc.etc.
Correct - the Nav IV is "different." When I recently asked my dealer about this, he was pretty sure that it would be the same year extesion, but (being the thorough guy he is) he checked with the mother ship and learned that it was in fact different -- 2 yrs, with or without a bike.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
So be it then, no "bubble burst." BMW Omaha stands behind the '3 year warranty' for all (hard) accessories on the bike contract, and they are offering nice discounts on the Nav 4 for pre-order customers. I'm keeping my Nav 4 on the contract...

lowflyer2000 said:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts