BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok world travelers, I need some helping planning a month in Germany this coming Spring/Summer. We have the opportunity to visit friends in Germany late May/early June. They have a couple of bikes so we are set for a ride. What about bike to bike communication, Gps mapping, or just computer map programs like Microsoft Street and Trips, etc. They live in Wurzburg. They have been there two plus years and have a good idea of what to do close, but what about major attraction you just don’t what to miss. Or maybe what is on the must see for the tourist that you may not want to waist time on? Also want about little know Motorcycle events that would be unique? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Rind fleisch rollanden mit spaetzle

Go on a wurst tour - each locale has their 'own' style.
Senf (mustard) is a must. Mit Broetchen - and quark for breakfast - oh yea, quark and real coffee....

I could make a living outta just going from village to village, sampling the local food and beer.

oh god - do I ever wanna go back..

·
Registered
562 Posts
You'll be there during prime wine fest season. There are hundreds of fests from small 1 tent affairs to the entire town fests. Check the local paper for lists. If you friends have been there for a couple of years I'm sure they'll have the scoop. Not only is the wine excellent but the food and entertainment is well worth the trip. Have a great time, wish I was going with you.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Enjoy the scenic roads, food, drink, and people. It can the the ride of a lifetime, but be careful as the roads can be a little challenging compared to the long straight stretches we have in the states. Hope you have a ball! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hi,

It's a shame your a little early for the BMw Motorrad in Garmisch, which is in early July.

You really need to make a trip into southern bavaria, the roads and the mountain are wonderful to ride through. I've done two tours through Bavaria in the last three years and want to go back again soon, but I have to please the little lady who also likes to fly to sunny beaches and relax.

The castles are well worth a visit, and of Ludwig's are worth visiting, but you will need to devote a day to each one to make the trip worth while.

enjoy your trip, and feel free to PM me for details of my trip.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Wurzburg has a great castle and vinyard to visit. I would also try to ride through the Black Forest and then on into Austria.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bill,

Knowing what town or city you are heading to is your best way of knowing that you are heading in the right direction. The blue signs near the entrance to the Auto Bahn will provide with the next major city. If you are on the secondary roads, signed usually with tipped square, bordered in white with a yellow square within it, you will be looking at yellow signs which tell you what is coming up.

When I travel there, I usually consult the map and make a list of town along my route. "Connecting the dots", which are the towns will get you where you want to go and in the direction you want to take.

There will be many towns and village along the way, getting lost occasionally will be a part of your adventure. You will survive to tell the story about how you stopped in a town and found the a gasthaus near a metzgeri where the meal was the best you ever had.

I took the Michelin Red Book with me. This had all the names and locations of all sorts of places to stay a night or more. The Michelin Green book was another handy item. It has in it some the most favorite routes that include many of things you will want to be stopping at.

Going to Dresden is very cool. The Frauenkirche has just recently opened after sixty years of financial and reconstruction effort. Berlin is huge. Heads up and don't get frustrated by the fact that you can't get there from here! Munich is way cool. But it is large and at times frustrating to get through. Bavaria is a must, particularly Fussen and the Ludwig castle. Augsburg is worth a few days. Oh my, there is so much! I could go on....

Good night.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
My wife and I drove around southern Germany, and into Switzerland once, vacation of a lifetime.

We flew into Frankfurt, drove south through the Black Forest, Heidelburg Castle, Frieburg, across the south and along Lake Constance (Bodensee to the Germans), into Friedrichshafen and the Zeppelin mueseum, then took the ferry across Lake Constance into Switzerland, drove south to Lichtenstein. Drove up the mountain there, and it was certainly like you would picture the area where "Heidi" lived. :D Absolutely beautiful.

We drove north to Fussen, where Neuschwanstein Castle is. That is the one Walt Disney modeled the castle in Disneyland after. Funny thing happend to us there. We went into the castle and waited in a room where the english speaking tour guide was to meet us. We sat down next to a couple, and I asked them where they were from. They said "a small town near San Diego called Poway". Nearly fell off the bench laughing. Travel half way around the world, ride for a few days, take a horse cart up the mountain to the castle, and sit down next to a couple that live about 25 miles from my home in the San Diego area.

We then drove north to Nurnberg, stayed there a couple of days, then back south to Munich for a couple days, and flew home from there.

My wife and I would both love to go back again!

One thing we did not get a picture of, and wish we had. North of Fussen, there were little green plastic fences along portions of the road, and signs with symbols of frogs and swerving cars. Seems that at that time of the year, frogs cross the roads in large numbers, and cars spin out on them. Fortunately, we only saw the signs, no flat frogs. :D

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
dshealey said:
One thing we did not get a picture of, and wish we had. North of Fussen, there were little green plastic fences along portions of the road, and signs with symbols of frogs and swerving cars. Seems that at that time of the year, frogs cross the roads in large numbers, and cars spin out on them. Fortunately, we only saw the signs, no flat frogs. :D
Actually that sign is not a warning that you might spin out on the frogs, but more a kind of "Please watch out for toads, they are already on the endangered species list" Which for some toads there is really a problem. In order to get to their spawning grounds they have to cross major highways and are getting squished by the thousands. Sometimes the local governments even build small Tunnels for the toads so that they can safely cross the road. Kind of like an underpass.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Yeah, saw a couple of the little tunnels also. The signs did have a symbol of a car, with swerving tracks behind it, we assumed it was a warning for loss of traction on the slick toads. :D Maybe it meant you should swerve around them?

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
dshealey said:
Yeah, saw a couple of the little tunnels also. The signs did have a symbol of a car, with swerving tracks behind it, we assumed it was a warning for loss of traction on the slick toads. :D Maybe it meant you should swerve around them?
Yup, thats what it's supposed to mean. But as you show as a perfect example, if you don't know what its supposed to mean .... LOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
We'll be going over in March or so, just a little ahead of you. We'll be doing the castles Neuschwanstein, Linderhof(oberammergau) and Munich. If you fly into Frankfurt, either on the way in or out check out the Rhine Valley. Wiesbaden, Rudesheim and all the way up to Koblenz,super scenery. Near Wurzburg along the River is a small town Miltenburg great brewery "Faust" check it out. I was stationed in that area "Wiesbaden" let me know if I can help you.

Tim Reed
02 Toscana Green "The Toad"

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
You can always go to the BMW headquarters in Munich. If you reserve ahead, you can do a factory tour (autos, not bikes). They also have a pretty cool museum (bikes and cars), shaped like a big teacup.

And do spend some time riding the Alps. Those are not to be missed. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Maps and Navigation

Having lived over here for three military tours, this one going on it's sixth year, I strongly recommend that you get a locally made current map book immediately when you arrive. I prefer the ADAC map books that are carried at most Autobahn gas stations over the others because the ADAC books always have the exit numbers and are GPS accurate.

I carry a 1:100,000 map book when I'm going on a long trip because it has a level of detail that will get me almost anywhere short of exact streets in small towns. To handle that I use http://www.de.map24.com to pinpoint local addresses and tourist locations. You can adjust the language by using the menu on the left and selecting English then English Germany. Great program. You can plan out your whole adventure in detail before coming or at least pinpoint a bunch of destinations.

You should also strongly consider joining ADAC auto club. I believe they have a reciprocal agreement with AAA in case you are a member with them. But for the annual fee it is cheap trip insurance while you are here. This website is a great start for finding out the legal issues in Germany and what you need to know to have a great visit http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/welcome/travel/driving.html.

Finally, no one has mentioned making sure you hit Rothenburg O de Tauber. This is a must see place for tourists. Go in the middle of the week to avoid the crowds. This is one of the very few original mideveil walled cities that still remains. Also includes Kathe Wolfhart's Christmas stores and the German Criminal Museum where you can see all manner of historical torture devices. Great day and an even better overnight stop. It is just down the road on A7 from Wurzberg.

Enjoy!

Steve
Mannheim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts