BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Germans going Coast to Coast.
Two Bikes my friend Dieter and my self with our wifes.
We start next week Wednesday May 9th in San Francisco. Pick our bikes up Friday and Saturday.
I will ride an LT and Dieter is going for an Electra Glide. We will keep you informed here on the Forum in "Riding Tales"
Is there any recommendation on the Tour regarding anything we have to watch on our trip like dangerous, nice area, really bad roads or other things.
Our schedule is.
S.F. > Monterey > Santa Barbara > L.A. > San Diego > back to Palmdale > Lone Pine > Death Valley > Badwater > Las Vegas > Hoover Dam > Williams, Grand Canyon and Route 66 > Monument Valley > Chinle > Albuquerque > Roswell > Houston > New Orleans > Mobile > Panama City > Orlando.
I would appreciate any comment from your side

thanks, Manfred

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow, what a great ride you have planned. Keep us posted on how you make out and the progress you have made. Always curious as to how you and the LT holds up.

Enjoy your trip and pack lightly...actually the latter advice is for you wife.

G

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Hi, Manfred - sounds like you folks are gonna have a great ride and visit in the USA. You gonna ship the bikes back home from Florida after the trip?? And I'm not sure why, but I thought Rudy (Winghunter) was going to be on the same trip - no??

Have a safe trip over, while here, and on the return to home, Manfred. Lots of pictures are always recommended. Best always.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mobile is the ugliest part of Alabama. If you run into some free time, you gotta get to north Alabama, north georgia and north/south carolina. Great riding and great beauty. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your tip Guy's will keep you up to date including pics.
Yes Dick Im one of Rudys group. Rudy couldn't manage to register his Bike over in the states therefor He and an other Member of the MTCG rented a Camper. We will meet them in Las Vegas for a Day.
I bought my LT in California about 120 mi east of S.F. and should stay after the Trip in Orlando at my Sons so no transfer to Germany. I will use it the next few Years for some trips in the US.

Manfred

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hello Manfred,

I'm sure you will have a fantastic time on your long awaited trip.

As mentioned, keep us posted.

Please ride safe and say hi to Rudy, Petra, and the rest of the gang.

Best regards,

Mauro

·
Registered
228 Posts
Very cool..someday I shall have the time!
Ride safe and take pics..lots of them.
I will be checking the thread you speak about!

One tip I can think of is bring some Lemon Pledge and a micro fiber towel to keep the windscreen clean.
Man the bugs just love the BMW windshield!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
mreuter said:
> Hoover Dam > Williams, Grand Canyon and Route 66 > Monument Valley
In between Hoover Dam and Williams don't miss Route 66 from Kingman to Seligman. One of the best preserved sections of the Mother Road.

·
Super Moderator
1,409 Posts
Well looks like you are traveling the southern route and there is a lot of history and great sites to see. If you stay in San Antonio check out
the Alamo (http://www.thealamo.org) - a little history of the US and Mexico and maybe a relaxing evening in the River Walk (http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/)
. . . nothing like the scenery in Germany but very flatland US / Texan . . .

I am sure others will chime on in our your travels:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once again thanks for your recommendations.
I will go and check Rout 66 between Kingman and Seligman and will also take a look of San Antonios Scenery and I don't stop in Mobile ;)
Thanks for everything.

Manfred

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
We were just at the Alamo and learned that 2 Germans fought and died along with the Texans. Actually there were many men from different countries listed that died there.

We also did the River Walk and had lunch at Dick's Last Resort. If you like to be entertained while having lunch this is the place. The waitstaff will say anything to anybody. If you can take a joke it is pretty good time.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
mreuter said:
Germans going Coast to Coast.
Two Bikes my friend Dieter and my self with our wifes.
We start next week Wednesday May 9th in San Francisco. Pick our bikes up Friday and Saturday.
I will ride an LT and Dieter is going for an Electra Glide. We will keep you informed here on the Forum in "Riding Tales"
Is there any recommendation on the Tour regarding anything we have to watch on our trip like dangerous, nice area, really bad roads or other things.
Our schedule is.
S.F. > Monterey > Santa Barbara > L.A. > San Diego > back to Palmdale > Lone Pine > Death Valley > Badwater > Las Vegas > Hoover Dam > Williams, Grand Canyon and Route 66 > Monument Valley > Chinle > Albuquerque > Roswell > Houston > New Orleans > Mobile > Panama City > Orlando.
I would appreciate any comment from your side

thanks, Manfred
How long are you planning for this trip?

Houston: Space Center
New Orleans: Bourbon Street

We are in Fulshear Tx, 20 miles west of Houston and 7 miles south of I-10

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Dan, someware around four weeks. We going back to Germany on June 7nd but I like to see the kids in Orlando for two three days.
Houston - New Orleans is on my schedule.
Got your Place, thanks.

Manfred

·
Registered
241 Posts
Manfred, glad to hear you all are here! Sorry to hear Rudy couldn't get a bike!

While you're doing Rt. 66 through New Mexico, take a quick 40 minute jaunt north of Albuquerque, to Santa Fe - it'll be worth the detour. I grew up in Albuquerque and Santa Fe (still here) and I'd love to show you around!

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi friends from over the pond, guess it is my time to jump into this thread :wave .

Well, it was a bit complicated for my friend Peter and me, to get the bikes registered. No problems to get a registration for the bike I bought already but for Peter it became more and more difficult as time time got closer to our trip. So I could aggree with the seller to cancel our contract.. Thanks to Rick from Oregon for his kind understanding.

So we finally will end up in a motorhome. Peter and and our ladies. Guess for the girls it is more relaxabel to do the long trip. they seem to be happy :D

Peter and I will leave on Sunday and pick up our motorhome in Vancouver. We will meet Manfred on the 19th of May in LAs Vegas. May be someone is interested to meet us down there. We will stay at the OASIS RV Park. Just ask for Rudy :wave

On our Club forum we have opened a kind of a live blog. It is visible for guests. normally our forum is just for registered Members but due to a lot of interest in our trip we have opened that section. As a guest you will have a "read status". If you wonna leave a posting you need to be registered on our site.
http://mta.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usa

sorry, our site is in German but there is a "Translator" on top of the site. Feel free to use it.

Hope to meet some of you guys along our route.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This will be our route

Vancouver , Corvallis - Oregon, Lassen Volcanic Park, Yosemite Park, Fresno - CA, Sequoia, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Valley of Fire, Hoover Dam, Historic Route 66, Grand Canyon South Rim, Grand Canyon North Rim, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Natural Bridges, Sonoran Desert, Phoenix, Palm Springs, Los Angeles, HW 1 North, San Franzisco, Vancouver

http://mta.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usa

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
dfinazzo said:
Well looks like you are traveling the southern route and there is a lot of history and great sites to see. If you stay in San Antonio check out
the Alamo (http://www.thealamo.org) - a little history of the US and Mexico and maybe a relaxing evening in the River Walk (http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/)
. . . nothing like the scenery in Germany but very flatland US / Texan . . .

I am sure others will chime on in our your travels:

Guten Tag!

Being you're starting in San Francisco, you should go at least 12 miles north to Muir Woods National Monument to see some of the California Redwoods, also known as giant sequoias. I've been to Bavaria/Garmische, which is got to be one of Deutschland's crown jewels, but I don't think you have trees like this. Yosemite National Park is four hours East of San Francisco. This area is some of the most beautiful in California, and it's a "must see" part of Americana. here's one link: http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/topcalifornia/a/redwood_forests.htm

And if you like wine, don't forget Napa Valley. California, as jacked up as their politics is :p , has some great tasting wines, many of which are world class.

+1 about San Antonio- it has lots of things to see and do and the Riverwalk is beautiful- and San Antonio is one of the best locations in the USA for TexMex cuisine. Forget the Mexican food in California- they can't hold a candle to the Southwest flavor of genuine TexMex.

Also, if the google map presented in one of the posts is accurate, I suggest changing the route South from Roswell, New Mexico to San Antonio. Head out of Roswell towards Big Ben National Park. It's beautiful, then go to San Antonio.

While you're in San Antonio, you might be interested in New Braunfels. It's a relatively small town compared to San Antonio, but it was founded by German immigrants.
It's just on the North side of San Antonio, and they have Schlitterbahn Waterpark, but if you like waterparks, SeaWorld, Texas in San Antonio might be better bet. I would say for water sports/recreation with a local flavor, go tubing down the Guadalupe River near Canyon Lake/New Braunfels. It's cheap, cool fun, and I've heard you can pull your own cooler of refreshments/beer in it's own inner tube.

I don't know much to see between Roswell and San Antonio on the above mentioned map/route, therefor the reason for my suggestion of Big Bend National Park. There's probably a member here to either confirm or correct me.

There is an area just Northwest of San Antonio referred to as the Texas Hill County, with small towns like Bandera, Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Leakey and others w/ Texas charm. This area has beautiful scenic riding, giving you even more exposure to authentic Texas ambiance, so to speak. One famous/well known motorcycle route is the Three Twisted Sisters, aka The Hundred Mile Loop. You can google this and get an idea of what you could expect. Again, it's a great example of Southwest Texas countryside and the related charm. This is also a great area to experience Texas Bar-B-Q. Hope you all aren't vegans because Texas has some of the best food in the United States, and it involves all kinds of beef. :cboy:

Speaking of great food, you'll want to maintain a healthy appetite to experience some awesome seafood and french inspired local cuisine in Louisiana known as Cajun-style or Creole. Between the flavors of what Texas offers and the great state of Louisiana, you'd be hard press to find better a more enjoyable culinary experience for your palate. Oh yeah, you'll want a great steak while in Texas. Besides TexMex, and Bar-B-Q, you can't beat Texas Beef. There are hundreds of great steakhouses. One that comes to my mine is a chain in Houston called Papas Brothers. As a matter of fact, they specialize in all the above w/ a chain of restaurants for each. They even have a chain for seafood with a Cajun influence, called Pappadeaux. But they steakhouse is called Pappa Bros. Steakhouse, and it's to die for, but it's also a four or five star restaurant, so it's pricey.

One last thing, while you're in the San Antonio area, and even the rest of Texas, try Shiner Beer. It's made in Shiner, Texas, and it's only available in Texas. There's several flavors, and all of them are really tasty. On a related note, there is a brewery with a castle-like building in San Antonio that makes Pearl Beer and Lone Star Beer. I want to say they have free guided tours, and they use to give free samples in their Buckhorn Hall of Horns (as in antlers). Pearl and Lone Star are marginal when it comes to flavor, but you want to say you drank a Lone Star beer. Ensure you try one from the bottle, instead of a can. Some reason, it's a lot more palatable. :toast:

Anyhow, hope this gives you some ideas to seriously consider.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Folks there we are as promised here in this Thread.
After a long flight we arrived San Francisco on Wednesday evening.
Next Day sightseeing on a bus and a must on the Cable car. Is very impressive San Francisco with his different parts of the City. We spend some hours in China Town and Fishermans Wharf.

On our way throughout out the City we found some things and spots everyone knows like Golden Gate Bridge.

Or our nice ride on the Cable cars

On our Bus trip also Alcatraz in the fog

And on the end some good food and some beers on Fishermans Wharf

Keep you Guy's up to date, Manfred

1 - 20 of 44 Posts