BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta love it. On the way to work my engine speed dropped to idle when I was cranking the throttle. It feels like the throttle locked, very little movement. Waiting for a tow now. ImageUploadedByMO Free1420649174.720722.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: ddkroese

·
Registered
301 Posts
that sucks, have you ever been towed Ponch.

got a helluva drop from the road to the shoulder and wake up strip out there

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sucks, have you ever been towed Ponch.

got a helluva drop from the road to the shoulder and wake up strip out there
It was over 3.5 hours by the time I got home. Took forever for the tow to get there and I was only 10 miles from home. Now the fun part starts. Finding out what the deal is.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It was over 3.5 hours by the time I got home. Took forever for the tow to get there and I was only 10 miles from home. Now the fun part starts. Finding out what the deal is.
I thought I was receiving a psychic message today repeating....moved away...GS911....bastard.....! From a distant land where it is warm. It must have been you Ponch.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I was receiving a psychic message today repeating....moved away...GS911....bastard.....! From a distant land where it is warm. It must have been you Ponch.

A gs911 can't fix this problem. Something is amiss in the cable distributor box. I freed it up, but the spring sprung and now only god or rubber man can get to it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
A gs911 can't fix this problem. Something is amiss in the cable distributor box. I freed it up, but the spring sprung and now only god or rubber man can get to it.

I'd try rubber man first.
Damn cable distributor box weasels, they sure can jack some stuff up.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

Ponch - not that it's trivial, but the cable box isn't too difficult to get to if you pull the fuel tank off.

Just be thankful it's motorcycle cable and not Comcast, or you'd never get it fixed.

JayJay

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Sorry to hear that Ponch. Here's hoping the fix is cheap and easy (hey, I think I dated them in college!)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ponch - not that it's trivial, but the cable box isn't too difficult to get to if you pull the fuel tank off.

Just be thankful it's motorcycle cable and not Comcast, or you'd never get it fixed.

JayJay
The problem is where the spring went…

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear that Ponch. Here's hoping the fix is cheap and easy (hey, I think I dated them in college!)
Is this the natural state of BMW motorcycles?

Reactions: patrick2000

·
Registered
528 Posts
It hurts to see that! Not a good day at all.. Sorry to hear it Ponch

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

JayJay
Might not be the cable. I pulled the back cable wheel off and the right throttle cable wasn't attached to the wheel. There was no spring pressure pulling it back too, which worries me. I could pull it all the way out and it didn't go back.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Might not be the cable. I pulled the back cable wheel off and the right throttle cable wasn't attached to the wheel. There was no spring pressure pulling it back too, which worries me. I could pull it all the way out and it didn't go back.
It appears the cable distributor is similar on the 09's as my 12. I just replaced the right throttle valve cable and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be once the tank was removed.

I suspect the problem you are experiencing is related to the cable distributor box or possibly cable binding or failed tension spring on the throttle valve side of the cable.

Not sure the mileage on your bike but if you have the tank off this may be a good time to replace the cables and associated springs to eliminate related issues in the near future.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Aside from removing all the plastic to get at the box its not that bad a job, I replaced cables on my 05 ST not long ago, it was a pain but very doable. CHEER UP! Its 12 degrees here in NC! Wish I was there....

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It appears the cable distributor is similar on the 09's as my 12. I just replaced the right throttle valve cable and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be once the tank was removed.

I suspect the problem you are experiencing is related to the cable distributor box or possibly cable binding or failed tension spring on the throttle valve side of the cable.

Not sure the mileage on your bike but if you have the tank off this may be a good time to replace the cables and associated springs to eliminate related issues in the near future.
I am already there.

There are two springs on each throttle body. One is a wound spring around the shaft and one is a coil spring for return. I tried to get a peak underneath and it looked like the springs were there. I will try for a better look tonight.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I seem to recall some sage recommending changing out the throttle cables at 60K miles or so as a preventative measure. I haven't noticed any binding on mine at 68K so I haven't really worried about it, but I suppose some day I might do it. Anyone else done this and noticed a difference?

Maybe this is more important to the GS crowd that plays in the dirt and dust.

JayJay

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I seem to recall someone sage recommending changing out the throttle cables at 60K miles or so as a preventative measure. I haven't noticed any binding on mine at 68K so I haven't really worried about it, but I suppose some day I might do it. Anyone else done this and noticed a difference?

JayJay
I only have 30K on mine. The only severe use is the heat. It's hard on plastic and just about everything else.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I seem to recall some sage recommending changing out the throttle cables at 60K miles or so as a preventative measure. I haven't noticed any binding on mine at 68K so I haven't really worried about it, but I suppose some day I might do it. Anyone else done this and noticed a difference?

JayJay
You know JayJay, Ponch's misfortune might be a good thing for you, for convincing your other-half that you need the new RTW with the ride-by-wire..........

Reactions: CaptJDavis

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know JayJay, Ponch's misfortune might be a good thing for you, for convincing your other-half that you need the new RTW with the ride-by-wire..........
It's convinced me I should buy a japanese bike or a Victory. I may punt after this.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ponch is discouraged, and rightly so. Having your machine strand you is always a pisser. But after spending several years on this and other forums I'm convinced that whatever the problem turns out to be, it's an outlier. I've driven cars and motorcycles with throttle cables and linkages far longer than I've driven things with fly-by-wire. Even though I've had fly-by-wire in my pickup for ten years with no problem, I think throttle cables are still a fundamentally reliable system.

So all kidding aside, I'm not thinking of an RTW at this point. SWMBO did get the new car last year so at least that hurdle is out of the way. But my secret plan is get at least one airhead in the stable before I start lobbying for a new RT. Absent major failure I'm shooting for 100K on this one, at 68K now, so it should be another 3-4 years. And I'm not planning to test ride one either lest I end up like Hopz.

JayJay

1 - 20 of 146 Posts