BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a Gerbings Jacket, and controller. Works great, and it's the older style jacket before the microwire type came out. Needed another one (for wife) so I purchased another jacket and controller. A short time later, the jacket stopped working, turns out it was the controller. It had failed, so I returned it to the dealer, expecting a quick swap, but no, they had to send it off to Gerbnings and about a month later, I got it (actually a new one) back. Not sure why I had to wait a month since the dealer had controllers in stock.
A bit later, the jacket fails again. But since I have two jackets and controllers I start playing around, and in fact the controller had failed again. On the same jacket. So again I return to the dealer, tell them my story and this time drop off the controller and the jacket. My thought being the jacket is somehow blowing the controllers up.
It was hooked up properly, and when it was working, worked well.
Well here we are almost a month later and I stop by the dealer to see if there is any word. It seems Gerbings has no idea whats wrong, so I've now gone almost 2 months with parts sent off for repair.
This seems very stupid to me, here's what I expect, REPLACE THE JACKET AND CONTROLLER! Is it that difficult? I am losing faith in Gerbings and their "process".What good is lifetime warranty if it takes a lifetime to get the jacket back?
Might have to Ebay the jacket if I ever get it back and try another brand, maybe I'll have better luck. And that's my rant!!!

·
IBR# 366
16,535 Posts
Re: Gerbing's Rant

I prefer the Warm & Safe gear. Been using it over ~250K miles with great success.

Their HeatTroller is vastly superior to the Gerbing's unit, and it's made here in the USofA (not China like Gerbing's stuff). It was recently moved to its fourth bike and is still going strong.

I did have a jacket fail on me once while I was on a long road trip. I bought a Gerbing's jacket to replace it (only thing the dealer had) and while it did keep me warm, it simply wasn't as comfortable to wear as the Warm & Safe jacket. In particular, the neck didn't fit as well, and it seemed to have definite hot spots rather than the all-over heat that I was used to.

When I spoke to the owner of Warm & Safe (yes, the actual owner, not some receptionist) he simply apologized and handed me a replacement jacket. Can't beat that at all.

I still have a set of Gerbing's pants liners (Warm & Safe didn't make pants liners when I bought them), but those are going away. They have a hot spot on my left hip that has burned me twice now, once bad enough that I had to go to Urgent Care. No, thanks.

I'm looking forward to trying the Warm & Safe pants liners. If they're anything like their jackets, I'm sure I'll be quite pleased.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The wife and I have complete 4-piece Gerbings liners and love them. Never had an issue. But I bought the Warm & Safe controllers. That just may be the difference in our experiences.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are right. To have a Gerbings set in good working order you need 2 sets. I hope I won't need to go to 3 sets.

It's a shame 'cause they're very comfy.

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
FWIW, I've been using a Gerbing's jacket liner for a few years. It failed a few months ago (only produced heat on one side). Sent it back, they fixed it (no cost). Now both sides heat, as they should (and used to).

I recently bought their new "Microwire" jacket liner. It's noticeably more effective (defined as no hot/cold spots).

No experiece with the other products, but if Ken has put them through 250k miles that's good enough for me!

·
Registered
208 Posts
VERY poor customer service IMO. If a item doesn't work, replace it, then the dealer sends it back to the factory. That's what I do. I'd never make a customer wait as long as you had to.

Warm & Safe has been great standing by their products and keeping their dealers & customers happy. Your dealer is at fault.

·
IBR# 366
16,535 Posts
hschisler said:
. . . if Ken has put them through 250k miles that's good enough for me!
Well, not all 250K miles were in sub-freezing, liners-on-full conditions
but I've done dozens of overnight rides with the heat set on Comfortable, such that the heated gear lives on the bike at all times. And I've done enough sub-freezing rides to know that good, reliable heated gear is worth whatever they're asking for it. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
hschisler said:
FWIW, I've been using a Gerbing's jacket liner for a few years. It failed a few months ago (only produced heat on one side). Sent it back, they fixed it (no cost). Now both sides heat, as they should (and used to).

I recently bought their new "Microwire" jacket liner. It's noticeably more effective (defined as no hot/cold spots).

No experiece with the other products, but if Ken has put them through 250k miles that's good enough for me!
no heated liner designed right will give you hotspots or cold spots or shock you. it is not about the way it makes heat it is about how the wire or carbon or whatever is designed and installed. bad soldering, cheap connectors, all sorts of things would cause this problem. over cranking the power so you get the liner too hot will do it.

you need to get rid of this kind of nonsense and move on to the designs of 2011.

if you want more of my comments about commercials rather than facts for to our home page, www.warmnsafe.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts