BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is a time of year that the Gerbing gear goes on sale?

I have followed the gear for about a year but do not recall seeing any discounts or sales.

Any advice on where to purchase?

Thanks

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
I prefer the Warm & Safe gear. They even have a "trade up" program which will give you a nice discount.

Also check with LarryP, who is a supporting vendor on this site. His website is 12VoltClothing.com. He usually has some decent discounts and is a good guy to work with.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I too like warm & Safe, but have had Gerbings in the past. The only time I have seen them on sale is when they move to a new generation, then the previous flavor is usually discounted.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
meese said:
I prefer the Warm & Safe gear. They even have a "trade up" program which will give you a nice discount.

Also check with LarryP, who is a supporting vendor on this site. His website is 12VoltClothing.com. He usually has some decent discounts and is a good guy to work with.
Hey Ken, that brings up an interesting question. I've got a 3 year old Gerbings vest that fits welt (snug) with their controller. It seems to just get barely warm, and there are times when a heavy duty shot for a few minutes would be perfect. Overall I've been less than impressed with the performance.

Does your warm and safe gear do that trick? I've been thinking about investing in some of the newer "microwire" stuff .. what's your take on that technology - or is it just "the latest" in order to breathe life into what is a fairly mundane product?

Thanks! :thumb:

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
The only "advantages" to a vest instead of a jacket is a vest is somewhat cheaper, and packs slightly smaller. But as you mentioned, a vest simply doesn't warm you up as well, especially when your arms are sitting out in the wind stream . . .

In December, I rode through Atlanta at 16°F. I had to turn the Warm & Safe jacket down because full on was getting too hot . . .

I'm interested in Gerbings new Microwire stuff and Warm & Safe's new Soft Heat tech, but haven't tried either one yet. Anything that makes the jacket lighter and more comfortable while still retaining its heat capacity is a good thing.

I've used both Gerbings and Warm & Safe in the "older" generations, and I prefer the fit and features of the Warm & Safe stuff.

But either brand is much better than going cold. :)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
One thing to consider is the lifetime warranty on the electrics of the Gerbings. I recently sent in my 4 year old jacket liner due to the right sleeve not heating and they sent me a brand new micro wire to replace it.

I do have a mixture....using the Warm and Safe socks along with the Gerbing Jacket liner and glove liners. It is all good!

Ron

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought a First Gear which is made by Warm & Safe earlier this winter. Only the 65W was available and I may have been better off with the 90W. It is warm, has an adjustable heat controller and fits well.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Since you're buying this for warmth, spend the extra couple of $$ and get a jacket, not a vest. All of my riding partners who initially went with a vest have had to upgrade to a jacket because, as Ron mentions above, your arms are in the wind stream and need the heat to stay warm.

Another caution as you're shopping. Make sure you purchase the jacket in a size that is tighter than you would normally wear a jacket. You want the heating wires to be snug against your body so it almost needs to fit like a long underwear shirt. A bulky fit will not keep you as warm.

Good luck with your shopping. My wife and I both have Gerbings jackets and the G3 gloves. With that set-up, I've stayed warm and comfortable riding in 19 degree weather.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Gerbings jacket liner has worked well for me. I bought it in 2003 and it works as well as the day I got it. I also have the gloves which I don't use anymore since I upgraded to the LT.

The liner is easy on the storage space.

I'm sure there are many great types and brands out there, but this has been the combination that has worked best for me.

·
Cat Herder
1,438 Posts
I got a good deal on mine at the Long Beach Bike Show.
The new micro fiber wiring heats up instantly... Plus they bring 100's of jackets for you to try on to get the correct fit,

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
Yes, proper fit is important to get good heat transfer.

Gerbings handles this by offering many different sizes.

Warm & Safe handles this by adding stretch panels on the sides so the jacket adjusts to you.

Also important is balancing wind blocking with breathability. Warm & safe uses wind blocking materials in the front, but breathes out the sides and back so you don't get clammy.

Overall, I prefer the fit and features of the W&S gear.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They almost never go on sale unless the Dealership is having a store wide sale event. I have the Aerostitch heated vest w/zip on sleeves and have been looking to upgrade for over a year. As others have stated here, the vest works well but I wanted to keep my arms warm too.

I bought the jacket and dual controller at the IMS show last month. They gave me a free stuff sack to store the jacket, the pleather cover for the controller and the plug for the Beemer accessory outlet for free. The salesman said I was saving almost $50.

Saving $50 but spending almost 300 bucks. Who Hoo! :p

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They almost never go on sale unless the Dealership is having a store wide sale event.

I bought mine at the IMS show and they gave me a free stuff sack to store the jacket, the pleather cover for the controller and the plug for the Beemer accessory outlet for free. The salesman said I was saving almost $50.

Saved $50 but spending almost 300 bucks. Who Hoo! :p

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Bought a Gerbings "Micro-wire" jacket recently and tested it 2 weeks ago on a 500 mile 30 degree partially rainy trip. It works great. I am using an older Heatroller and had to turn it about half up. I stayed very comfortable, and the warmth was even. Mine fits like a slightly loose windbreaker and that seems perfect under a Textile jacket that I adjusted tighter than I do in warmer weather. I was offered a 10% discount at the local BMW Dealer, still expensive but priceless on a cold day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts