BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a tire pressure monitoring system that syncs with my Garmin. So now I have constant knowledge of my tire pressure. That is cool, but I experience a dynamic that prompts me to ask a question. I run my tires at 42psi on the front and 48 on the rear. A few days ago, when I started her up, the Garmin informed me that my front tire was 1.5 psi below target and rear was 2 psi below target. No big deal. I headed to my preferred gas station (3 miles away) to air her up just to find out that my tires were in the target psi range by the time I got there. I know that tire pressure increases as you initially ride, but am now hyper-aware due to the TPMS. Anyways, do you recommend I still give her a bit of air since both tires were initally low or bypass adding since they are now where I want them. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but am curious of your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
2c..... AFAIK recommended pressures are always "cold" tyres... so 42/48 before riding off. I'd add the diff between cold temp and recommended, onto the warm measurement, if its enough to bother you.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Get yourself a good gauge and a home compressor. As CWS said, pressure is always checked cold as that is the lowest point. I would not try and guess at what it should be trying to fill a warm tire as when it gets cold, it will not be correct.

·
Cat Herder
1,485 Posts
Don't drive yourself insane with tire pressure. The TPMS is a nice tool to have but they are rarely that accurate and they are there as a reference. If you run 42psi in the rear tire and it drops to 32 then you have a real problem. Use a high quality tire gauge and use that as your real tire pressure not the TPMS.

I ride with 38psi front and 40psi rear. My TPMS always says 35 front and 36-40 in the rear. The longer distance you ride the better the reading can be.

Side Note: I use a gauge from Lee Parks Racing. I was complaining to him about all the cheap gauges out there and they were not very accurate.(some were very expensive)... So he made his own and tests them to be -/+1 psi.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. That's what I figured. I added a 3rd garage when I got a second bike and have been meaning to get a workbench and a compressor.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
There was a lot of discussion on tire pressure in a thread on the K1600 forum. Attached is a comparison I did some time back comparing tire pressures on my LT using different gauges and hot or cold readings. Included in it is my Garmin TPMS linked to the 590LM. Ambient temperature and altitude also will factor into the results. Since I did the comparison, I bought an oil filled Longacre tire pressure gauge for doing the initial settings at home and then monitor pressures on my LT using the Garmin TPMS or the onboard one on the GTLE. Apparently, 68 degrees is what the manufacturers use as the baseline for establishing pressure settings.... :bmw:

Attachments

Reactions: gorm5
1 - 6 of 6 Posts