BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems there's been a few more threads than normal regarding clutches, and it has me wondering.
What, other than fluid contamination and extensive wear, causes a clutch (in the LT) to slip?
I ask because I replaced my clutch plate, both pressure plates, slave cylinder etc., about 30,000 miles ago, and every now and again I can get the clutch to slip, but just a little. Occasionally I can hammer the throttle in 4th and 5th, and it'll slip. Most times it doesn't. Last time it did it, I just revved the piss out of it and it quit. That sounds like liquid contamination, but I have none.
What else, including installation errors, can cause the slippage?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
could your clutch master cylinder be sticking - not returning all the way out leaving a bit of pressure in the line - wild guess

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Have you disassembled and inspected in the 30k since you changed the clutch? If not, curious how you can be certain there is no contamination. Not saying there is a leak/contamination, just wondering how you came to exclude it.

Could be +1 on what Gary said.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Do you cover the clutch lever when you ride? If so, that's where my money is at. Even the slightest compression can cause pressure buildup and slippage.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Do you cover the clutch lever when you ride? If so, that's where my money is at. Even the slightest compression can cause pressure buildup and slippage.
It is surprisingly easy to wear out a dry clutch which is why car manufacturers push automatics

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
While we're on clutches, here's a question for the experts.

My clutch engagement point seems to change after I've ridden for a while. The clutch has always engaged pretty close to the end of the lever travel, but lately is seems to start out engaging like normal, but after riding for an hour or so it begins engaging even closer to the end. Is this normal or indicative of something wearing out? I've tested for slipping with the 5th gear hammer on, but no slippage. The bike has 35,000+ miles on it.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
795 Posts
pickerbiker said:
While we're on clutches, here's a question for the experts.

My clutch engagement point seems to change after I've ridden for a while.
I am certainly no expert but I think this sounds like a clutch master cylinder issue, my car does the same thing and if I actually drove it anywhere I might care. I suspect that either pressure in the line is being retained when it should not, or there is seepage past the plunger doohickey. I'm sure others will have more intelligent answers and I will be watching.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
the piston in the master cylinder can stick before it returns all the way out to the rest position - dirt, corrosion, seals hardening, probably pretty rare
if the relief hole (master cyl) were to get plugged will cause problems, piece of crap in line floating around, when was last time fluid changed

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
gary45 said:
the piston in the master cylinder can stick before it returns all the way out to the rest position - dirt, corrosion, seals hardening, probably pretty rare
if the relief hole (master cyl) were to get plugged will cause problems, piece of crap in line floating around, when was last time fluid changed
I change the fluid every 2 years, just changed it about 30 days ago and the condition existed before and after I changed it. I was wondering if it could be an issue with the slave?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
pickerbiker said:
I change the fluid every 2 years, just changed it about 30 days ago and the condition existed before and after I changed it. I was wondering if it could be an issue with the slave?
it's a lot of work to get to the slave, it would get hot when the bike warmed up which would go along with the problem showing after riding for awhile, something could be sticking, intermitant problems not easy to find, when clutch released the piston in the slave goes back into the housing away from where dirt etc would cause a problem

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think I cover the clutch. I'm trying to stay acutely aware of how I start and shift. My revs stay low until the clutch is out, then I hammer it, and when I shift up, I make sure I'm fully engaged before laying into the throttle.
I do ride it hard, but I don't think I'm abusive.
Think what my original question was, is there something in the repair process that can go wrong that might cause the clutch to slip?
I do like the suggestion about the slave hanging up, so I think I'll change the fluid again and see what happens.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
fpmlt said:
I don't think I cover the clutch. I'm trying to stay acutely aware of how I start and shift. My revs stay low until the clutch is out, then I hammer it, and when I shift up, I make sure I'm fully engaged before laying into the throttle.
I do ride it hard, but I don't think I'm abusive.
Think what my original question was, is there something in the repair process that can go wrong that might cause the clutch to slip?
I do like the suggestion about the slave hanging up, so I think I'll change the fluid again and see what happens.
Thanks guys.
easier to make sure master cylinder piston coming all the way out to the circlip that keeps it in - dirt corrosion (white metal) - IF you have not looked there

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
gary45 said:
it's a lot of work to get to the slave, it would get hot when the bike warmed up which would go along with the problem showing after riding for awhile, something could be sticking, intermitant problems not easy to find, when clutch released the piston in the slave goes back into the housing away from where dirt etc would cause a problem
Thanks, Gary. Other than being annoying, it really doesn't appear to be hurting anything and the bike runs great. Guess I'll just keep riding and fix it if it quits working, although I may go ahead and flush the clutch fluid again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts