BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2000 LT and after reading some of the recent posts about 2000 ABS failures, brake bleed possible solutions, etc., I am wondering a few things:
1) if the ABS fails do you still have brakes?
I have been driving my Saab 9000 with the ABS light on for a long time and the brakes work fine, I have just never bothered to take it in to try and deal with it.

2) If I don't know when the brakes were "bled" last should it be done as a preventative measure?

3) What other preventative measures could you suggest if the history of the maintenance is unknown?

Bike currently has 42k on it and came from a BMW dealer.

Regardless, when I picked the bike up and rode from Rochester to Hamilton ( 2.5 hrs) and subsequently a few times, the bike works wonderfully, with no noticeable brake issues.

What say you all?

Joel

·
Registered
99 Posts
I never had any problems at all with my 2000, sold at 24,000 miles running perfect in every respect...duno anything about the alleged abs problems unless somebody let their battery go dead. I heard about the problem where the test driver got killed cause the battery went dead from excessive panic stops during testing, but in normal driving I've hardly even nailed the brakes hard enough for the abs to work. I'd say don't worry about it.. but a 00 should be getting a new battery by now anyhow.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
starky said:
1) if the ABS fails do you still have brakes?

2) If I don't know when the brakes were "bled" last should it be done as a preventative measure?

3) What other preventative measures could you suggest if the history of the maintenance is unknown?
  1. I'd imagine it depends on the type and severity of the failure...but typically, the answer is yes. I haven't read a post of someone losing their brakes entirely due to an ABS failure.
  2. If the fluid is clean and clear, it's not urgent. But if I was buying a bike with 42K on the clock...I would maintenance everything.
  3. Read through this recent thread. Some good stuff in there.
HTH

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
On your 2000LT, the only difference that you will notice when the abs is not working is 1 - abs lights flash, 2 - the wheels could lock up in a panic stop. Otherwise, the braking force will be the same with or without abs. As for the battery, I would make sure that it is a fresh battery as Joe said.

·
Registered
558 Posts
When I buy a used vehicle I always try to change oil and such as you never know for sure what the previous owner did unless you get lucky and they kept records.

As far as the brakes are concerned the ABS light will blink to let you know that there is a problem. My battery just had a problem being a little low so the lights blinked which meant that the ABS wasn't working because of that and the bike had no problem stopping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts