BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my new bike out a couple of times, and one of them being last night for about an hour and a half after which time my butt was a little tender. Not sure if it has something to do with not riding for some time or not ,but the wife and I are going on a long weekend trip to Wisconsin in May and I want to know what folks think of gel seats or something else that will help my old tired butt.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
659 Posts
Stock seats on the LT aren't very good in my opinion. There are a number of options available...search on "seats" and you'll get more information and discussions than you can imagine. A lot of us have custom seats, Kontour, Rick Mayer, etc. It's my opinion that's the best way to go in the long run.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use the AIR Hawk. Butt, if you are going to buy two, I would get a custome made seat for a little more.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Things to try:

Beaded seat (low cost--actually quite effective)

Sheepskin (low cost--a little more than Beaded seat) hot in summer

Gel Seat --higher cost (never tried one)

AirHawk--higher cost , adjustable firmness, works well

Custom seat---usually where people end up if they ride a lot--but relatively expensive and can be a hassle to get it done.

First four options allow for taking them on and off to allow you to 'Vary' the seating.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I have a sheepskin with gel inside...........................
American Motorcycle Specialties

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've put 9,000 mi on my bead rider in the last 10 months. No complaints. Did 3,500 mi trip last summer. Kept me cool and comfortable.
A whole lot less than a custom seat.. :D

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
justlookin said:
I've put 9,000 mi on my bead rider in the last 10 months. No complaints. Did 3,500 mi trip last summer. Kept me cool and comfortable.
A whole lot less than a custom seat.. :D
I just picked up a bead rider, but haven't used it yet. Too cold.
WARNING: Too much info coming! :eek: I want to solve the going numb, and I don't mean in the cheeks, after too long in the stock '99 seat problem. Anyone know if the bead rider helped in that area?
Sorry...had to ask.

Jer

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a standard Corbin and a Bead Rider. I rotate the Bead Rider at every fill up. No hot spots or case of flat a**. It works for me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the factory seat and 1hr is all I can do before "hurt". I purchased a sheepskin covered gelpad during Bike-Week at a Destination Daytona vender and rode 5hrs on Sunday with only minimum discomfort in the last hour. I tend to think the pain/discomfort comes from the "heat in the seat" if you will. Sometimes I can swing my leg out into the wind and create a lil airflow toward the seat and get some relief. I too am looking for the answer to this question. The Air Hawk I've heard works well. And I'm sure another seat would help too anthough I'm not sure it would eliminate the need for a breathable type covering in the warmer weather months. More input from distance riders is needed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
STARFIGHTER said:
I have a sheepskin with gel inside...........................
American Motorcycle Specialties
What size did you order for the LT? - Jon

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Ortho-Delux $124.95

·
Registered
185 Posts
We got the Air Rider gel pads at Lima MOA and have been very happy. They are holding up nicely and they solved all our sore butt problems. It has a thin layer of foam on top of the gel. Does not slip or slid on the stock seat. Good product in my opinion.

See: http://www.airrider.com/store/category.php?cat=8

·
Cat Herder
1,445 Posts
Instead of spending a bunch of cash on a seat I always go to the chiropractor before I take a long ride. My back and hips are loose so it makes for a much more enjoyable ride... I do have an Alaskan Leather seat cover and that little something extra...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just completed a 14 hour trip over two days with bicycle pants. No problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts