BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a "new to me", 2002 LT. Just before transferring the bike over to me, the original owner replaced the battery.

Instead of a standard battery, the seller spent the extra bucks for a gel battery. He told me....it cannot be trickle-charged....so don't put it on the winter charger. This charger....delivers 1.5 amps...and then automatically shuts off when charged.

Is he spot on? Should I NOT use the, winter...battery keeper?

Is it a problem to use a winter, battery keeper on a gel battery?

Thanks,

·
Cat Herder
1,458 Posts
Make sure the battery tender that you are using is rated for gel cell batteries. Almost all newer units are gel cell safe.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
tvguy said:
Make sure the battery tender that you are using is rated for gel cell batteries. Almost all newer units are gel cell safe.

From a 35 year in the business battery guy, ditto on what tvguy said.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
From a 35 year in the business battery guy, ditto on what tvguy said.
I agree with both posts. Make sure your tender is rated for GEL and you should be good to go.. The charge voltage requirement for GELs is a bit lower than AGM or FLOODED batteries. Also GELs do not like being drastically deep cycled. They should be recharged at 60% capacity for longer life.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The gel batteries hold a charge much longer, so you only need to plug it in for a day every two or three weeks. Just make sure it's fully charged before you try to start it in the spring or you will trigger the warning lamp with low voltage as the system looks at available voltage for the ABS. I think you'll like the gel battery. No corrosion and no maintenance.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
The gel batteries hold a charge much longer, so you only need to plug it in for a day every two or three weeks. Just make sure it's fully charged before you try to start it in the spring or you will trigger the warning lamp with low voltage as the system looks at available voltage for the ABS. I think you'll like the gel battery. No corrosion and no maintenance.
I disagree, I don't care for Gel batteries, they are too expensive (and you don't much extra for your money) and their charge profile differs from the AGM and Flooded batteries. I myself am a fan of the AGM when it comes to cycle batteries and other seasonal crafts.

Since you already have the gel battery as it came with the bike, I would ride it out and see how it does, and to recapitulate your questions regarding using a tender, you can as long as your charger has the gel setting for the proper charge profile.

With the AGM's, no corrosion no fuss no muss!

To respond to the Gel's 60% SOD (state of discharge), it depends on what each manufacturer says, in Motive Power batteries the Deka batteries made from East Penn Manufacturing, you could take to an 80% SOD; cheaply-built batteries you could only take to 50% SOD before the battery needed charging.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I am on the same page with you Brett. I have seen so many folks spend a lot of money on marine GEL batteries only to have to replace them due to improper charging. I always recommend AGMs for those applications and many times the boat owner is looking at several thousand dollar installations. GELs aren't worth it. AGMs are the way to go. :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So....I really don't want to go to the expense of another tender/maintainer, as I own two. I have done web searches on both model numbers and can't determine if it is ok to use them on a gel battery.

I would love some advice, if anyone knows about these models or can find something to help me out. Can I use either of these models on my gel battery????

EverStart, Fully Automatic Battery Tender, Model: PP1.5A

Schumacher, Battery Maintainer, Fully Automatic with Float Mode Monitoring, Model:
SEM-1562A

Anyone know anything?????

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MtnRider said:
So....I really don't want to go to the expense of another tender/maintainer, as I own two. I have done web searches on both model numbers and can't determine if it is ok to use them on a gel battery.

I would love some advice, if anyone knows about these models or can find something to help me out. Can I use either of these models on my gel battery????

Schumacher, Battery Maintainer, Fully Automatic with Float Mode Monitoring, Model:
SEM-1562A

I just found this on the Schumacher.......(I wish I could find some info to indicate that the EverStart was fine to use with Gel's, as it has the special fit adapter that will plug in to the LT powerpoint outlet.)

Schumacher Battery Trickle Charger - SEM-1562A

Battery Companion For 6 and 12 volt lead-acid batteries. Automatic battery charger with reverse-polarity protection maintains both 6 and 12 volt batteries, keeping them at full charge using float-mode monitoring. Most starter, deep cycle and gel type batteries can be charged and maintained. Automatically switches from full charge to float-mode monitoring as needed. For charging small batteries and maintaining small and large batteries kept in storage.

1.5 AMP Charger and Maintainer.

LEDs indicate Charging, Fully Charged and Trouble with charging.

Automatically switches from full charge to float-mode monitoring.

Quick-Disconnect Harness - Snap either connector into place in seconds. Use the 50 AMP clamps or permanently attach the ring connectors!

This product is great for motorcycle batteries and other hard-to-reach batteri es.

Reverse-Hookup protection.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
MtnRider said:

SEM-1562A

Is there any sort of product info like OAV (overall voltage)? It it exceeds 14.4 volts then do not use the aforementioned chargers on your Gel battery (13.9 vdc is the most you want on a gel battery). I will throw this in, the Everstart is a piece of junk from ChinaMart, the Schumacher (depending on when it was made) used to be a good charger.

If you cannot find out any product info from the supplier (ChinaMart won't know crap about the crap that they sell so I wouldn't even bother calling them) then bite the bullet and go with a quality battery tender/maintainer that charges Flooded, AGM and Gel batteries.

My .01 worth! :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
my xmas gift charger says for "acid" batteries ONLY !! Is this a no go for the GEL in my '05...?

Does anyone make a compatible unit besides BMW ??

Thx,
Harold

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
hogfornow said:
my xmas gift charger says for "acid" batteries ONLY !! Is this a no go for the GEL in my '05...?

Does anyone make a compatible unit besides BMW ??

Thx,
Harold
Correct. The chargers rated for Gel use a different charging program.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What Michael says . But also, There are plenty of chargers that will charge GEL and AGM batteries. BMW doesn't make em. You can get them at Amazon as in the post above or Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts. Just make sure the charger is set up to charge the different kinds of batteries. Tell Santa he (or she) goofed and gave you the wrong thing. (but be careful how you present it ) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
Is there any sort of product info like OAV (overall voltage)? It it exceeds 14.4 volts then do not use the aforementioned chargers on your Gel battery (13.9 vdc is the most you want on a gel battery). I will throw this in, the Everstart is a piece of junk from ChinaMart, the Schumacher (depending on when it was made) used to be a good charger.

If you cannot find out any product info from the supplier (ChinaMart won't know crap about the crap that they sell so I wouldn't even bother calling them) then bite the bullet and go with a quality battery tender/maintainer that charges Flooded, AGM and Gel batteries.

My .01 worth! :D
Everstart batteries have been popular with the folks at Consumer Reports for the past several years, and I've switched over to them for my commercial vehicles with no issues.

I generally avoid Chinese stuff like the plague - but they seem to be holding up well.

I think that spending money for a quality charger is a great investment since so many batteries meet an early demise due to poor charging performance. I've been using individual YUASA brand intelligent chargers (about $45.00) hooked up to all my powersports equipment and they work just great. :thumb:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Gel is acid, so hard to say from that description. The general class of battery is lead-acid, with the options being flooded cell, gel, or Absorbed Glass Mat.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Get yourself a Guest brand model 2606. It's three stage, waterproof, potted, and big enough to charge your car battery. It's fully automatic and will charge all types of 12 volt batteries so you can clip it to that gel, agm, or flooded battery and not have to worry about it. Mine's probably at least 10 years old. Best charger I've ever owned.

·
Registered
220 Posts
John,

From the data I've gathered on the various types of batteries the problem really only manifests itself with deep cycle applications, i.e. running trolling motors, camping refrigerators and using it for standby power through inverters. For normal automotive/motorcycle applications any modern charger that charges flooded lead-acid batteries will also charge AGM and GEL batteries. I bought a Schumacher Battery Maintainer for about $14 at Walmart three years ago and has been using it on three BMW GEL batteries, an AGM and two flooded lead-acid batteries since without issues. In winter I keep it on the three GEL batteries for a day a week.

·
Registered
231 Posts
MtnRider said:
I purchased a "new to me", 2002 LT. Just before transferring the bike over to me, the original owner replaced the battery.

Instead of a standard battery, the seller spent the extra bucks for a gel battery. He told me....it cannot be trickle-charged....so don't put it on the winter charger. This charger....delivers 1.5 amps...and then automatically shuts off when charged.

Is he spot on? Should I NOT use the, winter...battery keeper?

Is it a problem to use a winter, battery keeper on a gel battery?

Thanks,
I have the original gel battery on my LT since I purchased the bike in 2006. I have used a trickle charger and other chargers (with no name on it), the battery went dead because of sitting too long several times, but after charging came back to life and worked perfectly fine ever since.
I'm not really sure if those precautions about "special" chargers are valid in this case. My battery is over 4 years old and still perfectly fine.
BJ

1 - 20 of 30 Posts