BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep I'm sure this has been beat to death but; I missed the last discussion on them.
My 2005 battery keeps going dead and we are heading into the winter months so it's time to put the battery charger on it anyway.
Which one do I need?
Anyone know the advantages of the Gel filled batteries over the regular sealed battery?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Kenny, I have an 05 with a gel battery. I bought the BMW charger when i bought the bike. Just plug it in on the left acc. plug and let it charge. Have never had the battery go dead even with my xo leaving her heated seat on. Chuck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Kenny,

Save yourself some moola. go to http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=DEL-021-0156 and order a Deltran Battery Tender Plus for gel batteries. When you call them to order, tell them it's for a BMW gel battery in a bike. You'll save ~$20 over the same thing from your dealer with "BMW" all over it (Deltran makes the one for BMW)!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gel Battery

Yep the damn thing goes dead everytime I leave it more than 3-4 days; this is the first for me on these bikes, but then this is the first Gel battery for me also.
Thanks for the info Chuck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Kenny said:
Yep I'm sure this has been beat to death but; I missed the last discussion on them.
My 2005 battery keeps going dead and we are heading into the winter months so it's time to put the battery charger on it anyway.
Which one do I need?
Anyone know the advantages of the Gel filled batteries over the regular sealed battery?
I use a Battery Tender Plus which I paid somewhere around 40 bucks for. Also use a Schumacher Battery Companion which I got at Wal-Mart for about 17.00 Bucks. I like the Schumacher much better than the Battery Tender.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
gel battery

Kenny said:
Yep the damn thing goes dead everytime I leave it more than 3-4 days; this is the first for me on these bikes, but then this is the first Gel battery for me also.
Thanks for the info Chuck.
I think you have a serious problem somewhere else on the bike. I've had my 05 for just over a year, left it for a week or more, just recently 3 weeks, with no battery tender, and it will fire right up. You're under waranty, I'd ask the dealer "what's up with this."

·
Registered
740 Posts
When I bought my '03, I insisted they put the Gel battery in for me before I took delivery...it was not standard fare at the time...and the damn thing went kaput within a year with all the proper battery care and appropriate chargers I could get my hands on. Replaced it with an Odyssey and haven't had a moment's problem since. Well, except for leaving the light on overnight inside the trailer last year at a motel in Kansas City...not good, and were it not for Dave Dragon I'd no doubt still be sitting there.:mad:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought my used 2005 LT in May and have not had a charger on it. I've sometimes left it for 3 weeks without starting it. This is my first bike and I live in Florida, so I don't see it sitting throughout winter. Do I need a charger?

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's a "nice to have", but honestly if you are riding year 'round in FL you could probably get by without one. The guys who really need them are the ones having to park their bikes for months at a time waiting for the snow to melt...yuck. :(

The only thing that might necessitate one, is if for some reason you were using your stereo for long periods of time without the motor running...say, out in your workshop, for example...but otherwise, naah.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Kenny,
I had the same problem with my 05 which I purchased in April of this year. Dealer put a new Gel in in August and I haven't had a problem since. One reminder, the radio doesn't shut down when the bike is turned off and if muted, could go undetected or easily left on. This will drain the battery - been there!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Ken,
it's not right.
I do have a gel battery on my and it last 2 to 3 weeks before the charge is below 11.7v.
I also have the same one on my Seadoo and it last at least 5 weeks before below 11.7v
If you your new 2005 has CD changer check to see if the CD device is not draining charge (assuming everyting else is off).

On the chargers, I do have the BMW one, but I guess any good brand, design for Gel Batteries, will do the job.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chargers and Gel Batteries

I called the dealer today but the Service Manager was out.
I suspect I have a drain on the battery but just do not know where it is.
I'll let the boys from Sturgis find it :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I plug in a battery tender (Jr, I believe) everytime I finish riding. This takes about 10 seconds to do. Haven't had a battery issue for 2 1/2 years with the original battery - and it's still going strong. I would recommend doing this.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It sounds like something is wrong with the battery. I would have the dealer get me a new battery since it should be under warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts