BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anybody had any problems with there gear foot peddle falling off.

I set off yesterday from a set of traffic lights in first gear as i gained speed i then knocked it up into second gear and it felt very lumpy as i carried on accelerating i went for third gear to find the foot shift was solid and wouldn't move so i knocked it back down to first gear and the peddle fell down out of reach of my foot and now the bike is stuck in 1st gear

is this a common problem with these bikes or am i just a big footed oath that breaks anything i touch

regards Ray :confused:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
you most likely broke the linkage, remove the foot plate to gain access to the linkage and check which part broke, you can probably get a replacement rod at your hardware store, there used to be a member who sold reinforced linkages, might look into it if you are a bit heavy footed.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,941 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
RAYCLARKE said:
As anybody had any problems with there gear foot peddle falling off.

I set off yesterday from a set of traffic lights in first gear as i gained speed i then knocked it up into second gear and it felt very lumpy as i carried on accelerating i went for third gear to find the foot shift was solid and wouldn't move so i knocked it back down to first gear and the peddle fell down out of reach of my foot and now the bike is stuck in 1st gear

is this a common problem with these bikes or am i just a big footed oath that breaks anything i touch

regards Ray :confused:
It's a common enough problem that I took to carrying a spare threaded rod in my LT tool kit in case I had to repair it on the road. There seems to be a correlation between linkage failure and a previous left-side drop -- the shift lever gets jammed upwards, heavily loading the rod in the Rube Goldberg linkage between the lever and the tranny (the loading likely initates a crack in the rod, which eventually snaps).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise.

Will take the casing off thursday morning when i have a day off work, So i will be able to spend some time on the bike and have a good look at the linkage and hopefully repair it.

Once again thanks to you all
Feeling a lot more positive about it now :dance:

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
jzeiler said:
Look here for more info on the shift linkage:

Shift Linkage
I just clicked on the link in John's post, and realized that I had forgotten that I had written that doc! :)

It did remind me that in addition to the threaded rod (near part #9 in the shift linkage drawing), there is another common failure point: shearing the head off of the ball studs (parts #3). In addition to carrying the spare threaded rod, I also carried a couple of the ball studs in my LT kit. IIRC, the ball studs are relatively inexpensive from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Inerestingly enough, I have been doing some cleaning and organizing in my garage this past week and found a parts bag with two "ball studs" and couldn't for the life of me remember why I had them. They are very close to the mirror studs but made of a different material. Seems I must have listened to you years ago Mark when you first wrote that piece, better put one back on the bike.....just in case. I have also carried one of David Shealey's rods for who knows how many years now. I guess thier talisman properties must be pretty strong.

mneblett said:
I just clicked on the link in John's post, and realized that I had forgotten that I had written that doc! :)

It did remind me that in addition to the threaded rod (near part #9 in the shift linkage drawing), there is another common failure point: shearing the head off of the ball studs (parts #3). In addition to carrying the spare threaded rod, I also carried a couple of the ball studs in my LT kit. IIRC, the ball studs are relatively inexpensive from the dealer.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
jeffklt said:
Inerestingly enough, I have been doing some cleaning and organizing in my garage this past week and found a parts bag with two "ball studs" and couldn't for the life of me remember why I had them. They are very close to the mirror studs but made of a different material. Seems I must have listened to you years ago Mark when you first wrote that piece, better put one back on the bike.....just in case. I have also carried one of David Shealey's rods for who knows how many years now. I guess thier talisman properties must be pretty strong.
Hiya, Jeff!

Yep -- I still have David's piece in my tool kit, and I'm riding an RT now! :) I really should check to see whether it is usable on the new bike. The Max BMW parts fiche shows a rod in the RT shift linkage; I suspect it will be the same thread size/pitch -- just need to crawl under the bike and check the length.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts