BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my high milage '99 K12LTC to a friend and purchased a low milage '03 for myself. We were both on a ride a couple of weekends ago when he tried to downshift and got stuck in 4th gear. We pulled over and checked out linkage, but it seemed to be a problem inside the gearbox.

So, Sunday we pulled the gearbox out of the '99 and when we opened the drain plug we got pieces of mettle and the foulest smelling oil.

Today, my friend took the gearbox over to one of our 3 Houston dealerships and the service manager told him to forget it and purchase a new gearbox to the tune of $3K.

Well... even with all the mettle that came out of that tranny, he rode ~75 miles home on it the day it broke and there were no grinding sounds. So I'm thinking that there is still a chance that the problem is with the syncros and the shifting mechanism and not the main gears.

What do you super users think of this failure? Have we heard of this type of failure before? Should we expect the dealer's service department to at least make an effort to see what is wrong before suggesting spending that kind of money on a '99 with 97K miles?

Also, if we really should not be trying to rebuild this gearbox, where would we start looking for a used replacement?

Thanks for your advice and opinions.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Would be worth a 'look see' to know where the bits came from. Total judgment call and I wasn't at any hotel last night.

For a used one - I assume you mean someplace other than the one most folks start with? beemerboneyard.com

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I'd take it apart

Might be a good learning experience to take it apart before you spend the big bucks for another tranny. I'd like to see the inside of one instead of pics in my Clymer book! :)

Unless of course you are going to have a dealer to the work.

Just my .02 :bmw:

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
The couple I had apart lost the bearing on the input shaft. It is not that hard to replace, but if you have a dealer do the work frequently you can find a used one cheaper than the labor involved. Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts