BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Gearbox Imput Shaft Recall

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  PadG 
#1 ·
I received this email from NHTSA about a recall for some of our bikes. Here's the link to put in you VIN # to check, my bike wasn't affected.

Recalls | NHTSA

The Message they sent me :

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Every vehicle has a unique VIN. Enter a VIN to learn if a specific vehicle needs to be repaired a
U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Your vehicle MAY be involved in a safety recall and MAY create a safety risk for you or your passengers. If left unrepaired, a potential safety defect could lead to injury or even death. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you.

You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if there is a safety recall that may affect your vehicle.

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 23V011
Manufacturer : BMW of North America, LLC
Subject : Gearbox Input Shaft May Break
Make Model Model Years
BMW R 1250 GS 2019-2023
BMW R 1250 GS ADVENTURE 2019-2023
BMW R 1250 RT 2019-2023
Steve

#8 ·
Just watch your zeros and ones to make sure that it's not actually I and O, or vice-versa!

I strongly suspect that the software upgrade is to change/adjust the parameters for the ride-by-wire programming! A very sharp acceleration can put undue stress on the shaft, and toning the allowable acceleration down will help. Easily done in a ride-by-wire system. A fix for inadequate design, in my book!

I had read a piece of news on this, and it seems that BMW had thoroughly gone over the process at their supplier since 2019 and found nothing wrong, therefore, they must realize that the shaft was made to specs, which leads to the inadequate design conclusion!

#11 ·
Just watch your zeros and ones to make sure that it's not actually I and O, or vice-versa!

I strongly suspect that the software upgrade is to change/adjust the parameters for the ride-by-wire programming! A very sharp acceleration can put undue stress on the shaft, and toning the allowable acceleration down will help. Easily done in a ride-by-wire system. A fix for inadequate design, in my book!

I had read a piece of news on this, and it seems that BMW had thoroughly gone over the process at their supplier since 2019 and found nothing wrong, therefore, they must realize that the shaft was made to specs, which leads to the inadequate design conclusion!

From the article: "On the other hand, we do know that the input shaft goes kaput due to an abrupt difference between the engine speed and rotational speed of the final drive component. "

This sounds like a downshift (or mismanaged upshift), not just aggressive acceleration.

#15 ·
Pad is right on. Here is what I got from a dealer in the know:
"The recall is indeed a software issue. People were able to force shift assist into function on downshifts with revs out of parameter. Wanna grenade an output shaft? Force it to do shit it shouldn’t."

#20 ·
This adjustment is especially applicable to the GSs because of, for example, jumping in off-road situations.
When you leave the throttle open during a jump, the rpm shoots up. On landing, as soon as the rear wheel regains traction, the revs are brought back to the revs before the jump. This is accompanied by a considerable overload in the powertrain.
The software adjustment probably ensures that the speed cannot shoot up so suddenly when the engine lifts off the ground.

Font Parallel Document Number

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.