BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to do my first change of both the Gearbox oil and Final Drive oil on my recently acquired K1200lt. I bought it in May and have put 10000 trouble free miles on it. I figured this winter would be a good opportunity to change all of the fluids, including brake fluid. I have been looking at Red Line's Heavy shock proof gear oil, and was wondering if anyone had experience with this stuff. Is it safe for both the Gearbox and the final drive?

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Haven't tried it, have only used BMW reg and synth. :)

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Some people like Red oil, some like purple, some like dino, some like syn, some like red in the final drive and clear in the trans, some like purple in the final drive and red in the trans.

The most important part is to change it with the correct viscosity. Follow a couple links below this post and you will see what others think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just did mine last weekend. I asked my dealer when I picked up the various parts needed. His response was "as long as it's GL5." I had four quarts of Royal Purple sitting in the garage left over from another project and wanted to know if I could use it. I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts