BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gearbox fill hole HELP please

Sorry guys, I am filling the gearbox and it doesn't seem to be filling up. Yes the drain plug is in. According to what I read it takes .63 quarts. Is that right? Second, where is the fill hole located? I removed the right side chrome plate where the rear brake pedal is and removed what I hope is the fill hole. Thanks all

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
never mind I got it figured out

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
cfell said:
oh, please share!!!!
Yes, where did all that gear oil go??

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK well it turns out that I had read .63 qts. Well, I called Max BMW and spoke with service manager and he told me it takes .8 quarts and fill to botom of fill hole. I was afraid I had filled the clutch housing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
You mean you are suppose it measure it. I've been using the fill till full method I guess I will have to drain it and do it the right way :histerica

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
When I was about 7 or 8 I was watching my dad change the anti-freeze in the 1954 Oldsmobile. He kept pouring and pouring until I noticed the petcock was still screwed open. I think I learned some of my first cuss words that day.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Yeah.. I "fill" with bike on CS... until it hits bottom of the fill hole.. that's about all you can get in unless you put on sidestand.

My gearbox takes a bit more than the .8.. I think that is because the "castings" of the gearboxes have variance that might affect it.

So, if it is "full", no worries.. =) I would NOT put on sidestand to fill unless I KNOW how much my gearbox takes.... that would make it a little easier to fill and you can be comfortable in knowing you have the proper level for lube of the gears.

I'm thinking "too much" oil could keep too much pressure on marginal seals... and cause seeing into the clutch area ...

Go softly...

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like Clarence Carter sings in the song "Strokin" , " if that thing ain't tight enough I just stick it in her a...
Thanks for the replies guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts