BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Have been gathering info from you all to service my 2000 k1200lt after getting a quote of over £700 from my dealer Ocean in Plymouth for the 36000 mile service.I have just drained the gearbox (or sould i call it transmission ) oil & i was suprised how much metal was attached to the magnet, should i be worried about it? Always had it dealer serviced before so not sure what to expect. Will try to post a picture, never done this either so hope it works. All your thoughts welcome.
Cheers Geoff

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Good pic. :) Me wonders if your dealer actually changed the gear box fluid at 24K. That doesn't look too terribly bad, but it shouldn't look like that at 36K if the dealer actually changed it at 24K.

Anywho... I'd "forget about it" and change it again at 48K, or even 42K and re-evaluate then.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Too bad nothing like that grows on the top of my head? Maybe I should rub it with gearbox oil! :histerica

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Geoff did you know there is a funny looking weed growing in your gbox. :p

·
Registered
339 Posts
Very good pic....that pretty much looks normal, yes normal !

As long as there are no "chunks" on the maganet, you should be good to go.
If you take the material and rub it between your fingers, you will find it mostly of a powdery consistance, which is normal wear.

The Magnet is doing its job.

Make sure you replace that oil with synthetic, that will reduce the wear quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
to be safe...

have the dealership check your rear wheel bearing set just to be safe...my now deceased RT started up a problem like that, then started a mysterious rear drive fluid drip that I thought was a leak from the drain plug, that turned out to be a massive failure of the rear bearing--three of the ball bearings were totally disintegrated, and the connecting pieces had shaved the packing 45-degrees...mechanic told me I was probably within 200 miles of the rear wheel just stopping from forward motion.

would hate for that to be a problem for anyone...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Geoff,
Couple of things.............. 4my2centsworth! Excellent picture of frictional wear and probably longer miles on that Gear Lube than you thought. No bits so press on and for peace of mind change it again in a few thousand but use excellent Gear Lube ie HD. AS you know there is no connection between this evidence and your Final Drive. Zero. But, if they missed your transmission GL could they have perhaps also missed your Final Drive GL? That perhaps is what was meant in the above post? You may be really rowing up and down in the gears and winding that puppy out everytime that will have a tendency to show more wear especially with "cheap, or the wrong oil". Also, these transmissions are "constant mesh". Also, when it was drained did it have the proper quantity in it? :bmw:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, :) feel much happier now, I think if rear wheel bearing was suspect bits would be in the crown drive oil already changed oil in that & looked ok. I was going to use Shell Spriax A 80W/90 oil as i have some in stock, always use it in my airhead transmission ( 78 80/7 150000miles gearbox never been apart) seen on here somewhere someone uses it in Lt transmissins.
Cheers Geoff.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Good picture

Looks pretty normal to me.

I'd refill with synthetic and run it a while, then drain and see what grew. If the same or less (I think you'll find less), OK if more, or a lot more, then worry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts