BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate the gear whine at 100 kph (62 mph) in 5th and prefer the more relaxed feel of the motor to using 4th which has no whine,would a K1200RS 6 speed gearbox fix this?,I lose reverse and the top gear ratios of .700:1 vs .829:1 would mean I would be revving 15% more in top gear.The speed enforcement in Australia is over the top and doing over 110 kph where the whine stops is not an option,would the 6 speed fix it ?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
stop whining and turn up the radio,,,, yeah mine starts at 97 and goes out at 103 it's awful on a trip, ya think I would be use to it at 150000k probably cost you more than the bike is worth to change it.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I would like to say my LT has no such gear whine, but I think the reality is that I can't hear it. :smile:

I ran a chain saw for several years in my teens and early twenties before we knew we should wear hearing protection. My hearing is decent to about 4 kHz, non existent from there to 8 kHz, then comes back at higher frequencies. I am guessing the K whine is in my dead zone.

Probably your best bet is some custom fit ear plugs with music capability. It will be very expensive to swap transmissions and you will lose reverse gear.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done 115,000 and I have stopped playing music dunno why but I hear the whine more now will start music again,have already bought a K1200RS gearbox and starter for not much of a local wrecker on ebay ,have been into the clutch twice once for oiling second time bent a gearbox selector and put an oil proof clutch plate in while I was there,so the only remaining cost is my time,would like to be sure I would get the result before I do the work,nearly sold the LT the other day did the add but could not press the button to activate it,for many years used to go away every few weekends on it with 2 other couples on bikes,had a falling out with one couple and the other falling off too often and stopped riding,LT is hardly used now and I have a couple on classic rego which costs next to nothing over here

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think it has been done in the states, I remember reading something along those lines, the LT is not worth selling in my opinion no body wants them, they are too heavy and too expensive to repair, my deceased mates 02 sold for 4600. I'de leave mine in the shed for that let us know how you go, I couldn't push mine backwards if I tried.

·
Registered
245 Posts
. . . Probably your best bet is some custom fit ear plugs with music capability. It will be very expensive to swap transmissions and you will lose reverse gear.
Every bike I've ever owned ran way better when I put in my earplugs. I had this Guzzi once you'd think was on the verge of blowing up or falling to pieces then, in go the earplugs, and oh Gawd what a sweet machine!

I've tried a variety of plugs, including custom molded plugs. My favorite plug is the World's Finest. That's not what I'm calling them--that's the brand name.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FZ8CVG/

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mine has always had that whine you are talking about. Right about at 60. As the trans gears get worn in a bit, it will get slightly better. I think it has to do with the flat cut gears

1 - 7 of 7 Posts