BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lube my gearshift bits and pieces. What is the easiest way to access them ?
I currently have the gear lever and plate hanging from the linkage. Do I now remove the gear shifter itself or try and remove the pin from the ball joint I can see ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pull the pin out of that ball joint you can reach and the plate with the shifter will come off so you can disassemble the rest and lube it. About the only trouble you will have will be to get that last pin back in - just make sure it's all the way in and clipped before you put her all back together. EDIT: Oh and everything cleans up really nicely if you use brake cleaner.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
That's right, just push the clip around back and pull it out. The plate and shift lever stays
together. The other joints are the same. Kinda tight in there, when you regrease don't use too much or you will have a heck of a time seating the balls all the way into the sockets.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
I just find it way easier to pull the silver lower fairing to allow my meat hooks to reach in there and pull the pin to release the ball joint.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
From experience, I could not over-emphasize learning how this system works and assembles, nor could I over-emphasize carrying extra parts and pieces, even the small clips. When I grease mine, I use the ice cream scoop method of filling the cup, then a pair of pliers, and gently squeeze them together. Wipe off the excess grease and insert the pin. While in there, make sure that everything is sung. If you use a special tool to assemble, add that to your tool kit.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I purchased the small needle-nose vice grips to help compress the ball into the socket so that I could get the clips back in. It now resides in my toolkit. :bmw:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Yep :) those and the standard, very small, vice grips for removing the ball studs. Zakly what I'm carrying. I was buttoning it up yesterday and stepped on one of the clips. Got it bent back into shape, but elected to use one of the new ones I keep as a spare - in the tool kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another notable "to do" when servicing the linkage is to make sure the shift lever bolt is correctly torqued. I found mine was so loose that it had been scraping on the lower fairing. I disasembled the parts and cleaned the bolt with a wire wheel. The manual calls for red loc tight and a torque of 20-30 Nu. (not 100% sure on that value so check your service manual!) Shifts like 'budda now!!

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts