BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 LT i have just finished servicing the bike and remembered the gear sensor was not reading proper. Want to clean it up where is it?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I have an 01 LT i have just finished servicing the bike and remembered the gear sensor was not reading proper. Want to clean it up where is it?
The gear position sensor is on the back side of the transmission. They have been known to disintegrate. It is circled in the attached picture along with a leaking seal :) Not the easiest to get to. I am pretty sure the swing arm needs to be removed to get to it but I also recall John Zeiler mentioning you may be able to get to it from the left side. Never tried it.

There is a spring clip that holds it in. It needs to be squeezed together and it pulls straight back. The clutch slave is probably in the way btu again, I have never tried to remove it with that in the way.

Attachments

Reactions: beech

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,128 Posts
I answered in the other post on gear position sender location. Just have to remove the cross tube at the bottom of the frame not the swing arm.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I recently attempted to replace the gear position sensor. I followed instructions posted in the past by a member. When I got to "remove the muffler" step I gave up, I didn't want to mess with the nuts and bolts holding the muffler in place, something was going to snap for sure. If the muffler needed replacing I would do what was necessary to get it done, but for replacing the sensor only, I opted to wait. So from your description of the sensor replacement the muffler can stay intact, is that correct? (I hope so). Thanks for the info, and if the answer is yes it can stay intact, thank godness for folks like you on thus forum, (and of course if the answer is no my feelings still remain positive).
Wayne

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,128 Posts
You can leave the exhaust alone, it does not have to come out.

Reactions: beech
1 - 5 of 5 Posts