BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my '05LT told me that he used RED LINE GEAR OIL in the Trans and Rear Drive. I'm in the habbit of using Amsoil. Does anyone out there in Lt land know if there's anything unique about Red Line gear oil that would cause a problem if I drain it and refil with Amsoil? I'm about to do a 30k service and have the Amsoil on hand but can get some Red Line if there is a potential compatibility issue.

·
Banned
588 Posts
I know of no compatability issue of any oil and AMSOIL. I also post on the ST1100 website where at least 1 member has switched between them.

Found the below on AMSOIL's web site.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils and petroleum motor oils compatible?

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are fully compatible with all petroleum motor oils, and there is no danger in mixing the two. Mixing AMSOIL and petroleum oil, however, is not a recommended as a general practice. Performance and long drain intervals will be sacrificed and the oil should be promptly changed, at maximum, within the next 3,000 miles.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
Lynn,

The bearings are not as picky as we are, it does not hurt their feelings if we change brands. All they care about is getting the proper lubrication. I would not mix 50 50 (possible incompatibility with additives), but a drain and fill is just fine.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Let the gang know if you need a hand! We'll be there!
(you know, like standing back clapping to encourage you!!!!)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dcwchfc said:
Let the gang know if you need a hand! We'll be there!
(you know, like standing back clapping to encourage you!!!!)
Thank's Dave. But I'm wondering why you left out EATING LUNCH!!! :~)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
grifscoots said:
Now Lynn, you know they taste different.
Hey your right Griff and that's why I considered sticking with RED LINE for awhile. It kind of has a hint of cherry flavor, one of my personal favorites!!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TimVipond said:
I know of no compatability issue of any oil and AMSOIL. I also post on the ST1100 website where at least 1 member has switched between them.

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are fully compatible with all petroleum motor oils, and there is no danger in mixing the two. Mixing AMSOIL and petroleum oil, however, is not a recommended as a general practice. Performance and long drain intervals will be sacrificed and the oil should be promptly changed, at maximum, within the next 3,000 miles.
The reason I ask the question was that I thought RED LINE is a synthetic and I was concerned about compatibility of additives. Anyway, thanks for your response and it's good to know that your aware of at least one person that's made the switch without issue.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TimVipond said:

The reason I ask the question was that I thought RED LINE is also a synthetic and I was concerned about compatibility of additives. Anyway, thanks for your response and it's good to know that your aware of at least one person that's made the switch without issue.

·
Registered
284 Posts
gear oil

i put mobil 1 synthetic in mine
and i change it every oil change just to look at it and the magnetic plug
i know it doesnt need changing remotely that often but its more a preventative thing and to fend off any rear drive paranoia from all the talk of failures
never seen anything on the plug
oil looks just like it did going in coming out

id think any good synthetic oil of the right weight would work fine

·
Registered
68 Posts
kip said:
i put mobil 1 synthetic in mine
and i change it every oil change just to look at it and the magnetic plug
i know it doesnt need changing remotely that often but its more a preventative thing and to fend off any rear drive paranoia from all the talk of failures
never seen anything on the plug
oil looks just like it did going in coming out

id think any good synthetic oil of the right weight would work fine
I'm with you. Mobil1 75/90 for $8.95qt. at Auto Zone is cheap insurance.
Bruce C

1 - 11 of 11 Posts