BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gear indicator went crazy today. It started showing 1-0-1-0-1 instead of 1-2-3-4-5. It went back to normal and then after a while it wouldn't register 5th gear. Any ideas what might be wrong? I have no idea how this thing operates. It always worked fine on the 03.......... :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
I can't help you with the answer (you'll get it from other replies), but mine acts up when it's cold outside. It shows a mysterious 6th gear when it's really in 1st gear.

In a previous thread, someone told me it was a parity bit error... I think.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Mine acts up for a few days after I wash the bike when it's cold out. Some say the connection needs cleaning. Now that I have two bikes I'll have time to look at mine this winter.

Gear shift indicator are we spoiled or what :rolleyes: :D :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
There is a five pin connector that is up on the left frame rail under the seat. It has a Brown, Yellow/White, Yellow/Blue and Yellow/Black wires. (only four are used in the LT)

You will get continuity between the Brown wire and the Yellow/Blue in 1,N,2 and 3.

You will get continuity between the Brown wire and the Yellow/White in N,2, and 4.

You will get continuity between the Brown wire and the Yellow/Black in 1,N, 4, and 5.

To get a 6 you will have continuity only on the Yellow/Black and not on any of the others.

It is like a binary code that feeds the indicators if you are missing one of the "bits" it kinda goes crazy.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
rattler50 said:
My gear indicator went crazy today. It started showing 1-0-1-0-1 instead of 1-2-3-4-5. It went back to normal and then after a while it wouldn't register 5th gear. Any ideas what might be wrong? I have no idea how this thing operates. It always worked fine on the 03.......... :confused:
You got a 21 speed, WOW! :D

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing there's some kind of switch on the gearbox. Does that need to be cleaned?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
That is probably what is wrong. You have to drop the exhaust and pull the rear cross member to get to though. Once you do that it just pops off when you squeeze the clip. I'm not sure if it is a sealed unit or not.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That is probably what is wrong. You have to drop the exhaust and pull the rear cross member to get to though. Once you do that it just pops off when you squeeze the clip. I'm not sure if it is a sealed unit or not.
Old thread...I know, but I didn't want to start another one when this hits the issue on the head.

My gear indicator is faulty when wet so I am replacing it. Have a new one in hand and have gotten to the point where I have pulled off the exhaust. I'm ready to pull the rear cross member. Are there any "gotchas" with it or is it just disconnecting the linkage to the final drive and then 3 bolts on each side and it will drop out?

EDIT: I looked it over well and I didn't see any issues so I supported the final drive and then pulled the bolt for the linkage to the rear cross member. After pulling the 3 bolts on each side, I was able to drop the cross member out to get access to the gear indicator. Unfortunately the hydraulic line for the clutch slave cylinder was right up against the indicator switch. As soon as I touched it, the darn thing started to leak. :( Guess I will be replacing a clutch line now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts