BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gear Indicator Error - '05 LT

The gear indicator on my '05 LT is acting up.

Sometimes it shows 0, sometimes it shows correct gear, sometimes stuck at 1. Changes whilst riding.

The transmission shifts, Neutral indicator works properly, bike rides ok other than occasional clutch slippage.

This weekend was first time I rode it since picking up from Lone Star BMW, who said clutch was not contaminated, just worn out. Still not sure how they are so sure of this from just removing the swing arm, especially with only about 30k on it, but that is documented and discussed in another thread.

Any ideas? Is there a sensor that they may not have put back on properly?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: Gear Indicator Error - '05 LT

No help other than commiseration. Mine does it too. I'm 5 miles late for the 36000 miles tune-up and I'm hoping somebody'll suggest something I can look at while her Skirt's up in the air.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
It is easy to tell if the clutch is worn out by just removing the slave cylinder. A worn clutch will cause the release rod to press the slave almost all the way out of the hole. I was surprized when I put in my new clutch and went to install the slave and there was almost no push back from fully seated. A 2-3 mm of thickness translates to several mm in push rod travel.

The gear indicator is a binary coded switch that feeds four wires. If one wire is not making a good connection it will throw off the readout. They are prone to issues if water gets into them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Heat from the cat converter cooks the little plastic BCD switch , I think they are about $85 new , PINWAL cycle on ebay had one $20 . The swing arm comes off to install . when I first started after install showed "6" when in N , after a couple of runs through the gears the computer straightened up and no more problems.

Bob G

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 04 displayed 1,3,5. Bought a used switch on ebay for $25 and had it replaced while they were doing the clutch. Fixed the problem. Good luck with yours
Ron

·
Registered
876 Posts
Is it possible to insulate the switch against the radiant heat from the Cat ? I have some aluminiumised kevlar fabric I could use if the switch is accessible. May help prevent the initial heat related failure. Ideas ?

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
My 05 does the same thing. My 03 never did that. It gets real bad if I spray water underneath.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did not happen until LS BMW removed swing arm and maybe slave to check for oil contamination on clutch. Could switch have been reinstalled improperly? Wire left loose? Wire accidentally cut when reassembling?

Any potential for damage as a result of this condition?

How to diagnose without tearing it all down again?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
rattler50 said:
My 05 does the same thing. My 03 never did that. It gets real bad if I spray water underneath.
Same for me. It will act really strange for a day or so and then clear up.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Near as I can tell, it DOESN'T affect the Neutral Light...which, if you think about it, is all you really need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts