BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

a fellow rider with a '00 LT has the problem that both the gear indicator and the clock are dead. Has anyone ever experienced this?
I don't know the older model instrument cluster but I have understood that those are both in a same LCD display unit. So my wild guess is that the problem is at the instrument cluster end and not somewher in the gearbox.

Out of interest, does anyone know the working principle of the gear indicator? I suppose there are not a bunch of micro switches in gearbox each activating it's own number...:p

Regards

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,169 Posts
pozo_izquierdo said:
Out of interest, does anyone know the working principle of the gear indicator? I suppose there are not a bunch of micro switches in gearbox each activating it's own number...:p

Regards
Ari,

It sends a Binary Coded Decimal feed to the the gear indictor, something like 001 for 1st and 010 for second, 011 for third , etc (not the exact pattern but close). Three data lines and a ground.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler said:
Ari,

It sends a Binary Coded Decimal feed to the the gear indictor, something like 001 for 1st and 010 for second, 011 for third , etc (not the exact pattern but close). Three data lines and a ground.
Thanks John, but can you be more specific. What is the "it" that sends the binary code? Is there some kind of sensor per each gear or what?

"Still confused but on a higher level"

Regards

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,169 Posts
Ari,

It is a four, layer rotary switch on the transmission. It rotates with the selector drum as you go through the gears. The pdf shows the functions, Item S9944.

I would look first at the dash as no clock is kind of a give away that the problem is most likey there. Probably a power to the module issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
The actual switch is to the left of the slave cylinder at the back of the gearbox. From the wiring diagram it draws power from fuse 5 in fuse box 2, 4 amps.

Regards

·
Registered
989 Posts
The answer could be very well what Graham wrote.

I am looking at the wiring diagram (for my early-model LT, 2001). The LCD/indicator module is fed from fuse F5.

From there, it continues to the instrument cluster over red/black wire to pin 30 at the cluster. The ground is common to other devices in the instrument panel - if there was no ground you'd have problem with other gauges as well.

So, if I were to troubleshoot the issue:

- I'd check fuse F5 first.
- then, I'd try to get to I/P connector to see what is happening at pin 30.
- finally, I'd have to pull apart the cluster to see how the LCD module is fed - it could be a broken wiring connector or circuit-board trace.
- if all items above appear to provide power and ground to the LCD module, I'd grab the module itself and gently twist it. The LCD's make contact to the display glass via a conductive-rubber strip. Sometimes that develops bad connection and twisting the module will shift it enough to restore conductivity.

Good luck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,169 Posts
The only thing I would add to what Robert said is that fuse F5 should be hot all the time as it is not a switched feed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts