BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1200 RT 2005, 40,000 miles.

It has developed a fault with the gears and am hoping that someone can offer some advice. Or if this has happened to someone else how did they fix it?

The bike starts, selects 1st gear and pulls away fine. Changes up through the gears nice and smooth, clutch feels nice.
But approaching a junction for example, I change down to 5th, then 4th. But it won't change down any further (occasionally it will go down to 3rd). It will change up from there, but not down.
Even when I stop it will not nudge down. I have had to pull away in 3rd or 4th several times now as I had traffic behind me.
If I stop the bike, turn it off, rock it back and forward while nudging the gear pedal I can eventually get it back to neutral.

I have changed the gearbox oil and engine oil & filter in the hope that would fix it, but no luck. Clutch fluid level is fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
455 Posts
1200 RT 2005, 40,000 miles.

It has developed a fault with the gears and am hoping that someone can offer some advice. Or if this has happened to someone else how did they fix it?

The bike starts, selects 1st gear and pulls away fine. Changes up through the gears nice and smooth, clutch feels nice.
But approaching a junction for example, I change down to 5th, then 4th. But it won't change down any further (occasionally it will go down to 3rd). It will change up from there, but not down.
Even when I stop it will not nudge down. I have had to pull away in 3rd or 4th several times now as I had traffic behind me.
If I stop the bike, turn it off, rock it back and forward while nudging the gear pedal I can eventually get it back to neutral.

I have changed the gearbox oil and engine oil & filter in the hope that would fix it, but no luck. Clutch fluid level is fine.

Any ideas?
Symptoms suggest strongly... Linkage issue.... They loosen up over time on Occassion. As you can fix by giggling around... Presume that is it. BMW MECHANIC could adjust in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Check the free play in the shifter. You should feel the spring tension as it moves immediately, ( no jiggle unsprung movement) If you have jiggle, then I am with the previous posts, you have a linkage issue and it needs to be tightened/adjusted.

There is a linkage piece on my bike that has a screw ( pivot) through it and that loosened up on me reducing the overall movement of the entire linkage and it wouldn't shift because it wasn't moving the link far enough at the max travel of the shifter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts