BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what size is the hex wrench for the drain plug on the gear case. It was such a pleasure to remove the necessary pieces only to find that I did not posses the correct wrench. But all in fun, today is the day that I pick one up, I believe it to be 14mm, can anyone confirm this.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings

You are correct. The size you're after is 14mm.

It's also a bugger to remove and not spill tranny oil on yourself. There are very narrow funnels around at most auto-shops that will fit between the centre stand arms to make this job quite clean and oil-spill free.

Go for it.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
AU

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response, I made one to the handy dandy spillways that is described in the manual, Thought it funny that the manual had a drawing of a spillway and not the correct wrench size, the Jerry's are very careful about guarding the secrets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As indicated, 14mm is the correct size. I recently purchased a 14mm hex socket, 1/2 inch drive, from Sears. It works really well for this application. You will need to remove the two rear bolts holding on your engine guard, the then the mounting plate for the exhaust bracket. Once that is out of the way, the drain plug is fully accessible.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Don't forget to remove the filler plug first - it makes the flow out the drain plug smoother and gurgle free.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again thanks guys! I was really exasperated last night when I removed all the parts, only to find that I didn't have a hex key to fit. Just part of the fun, except it took three beers to put the smile back on my face. Such is life in the Fast lane.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
maxposner said:
three beers
You have the second most important tool for working on the LT, and you also have the most important tool as well - Attitude!:)

Good luck with her.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Some on this site use a 3/8" rod coupler instead of the 14mm hex key. In case you're not familiar with it, it looks like a long nut. Although it's for 3/8" rod, the outside dimension is 9/16" (a hair larger than 14mm). On my LT, it's a better fit. Much less expensive and more available, as long as it will fit without gouging out metal.

Also, in the archives I saw a drain funnel made from a plastic 1 qt. oil bottle. I hope I'm not wrong but, I think it was David Shealey's idea. You cut the bottle lengthwise at @ 3/4" tall. I tried it on my last gearbox oil change and liked it better that the hourglass apron. For me, less mess.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I got a 14mm hex socket from Harbour Freight and took it apart. I use a 14mm wrench on it to pull the plug. Works for me............ :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
20 bucks for the 14mm wrench, didn't even think about the coupling nuts, of wich I have several. Actually ground down a 3/8 bolt head and welded nuts to the bolt to twist, but with the 7000nm tork on the plug the welds broke and I had to stop before I sent the manual writer a letter bomb. The beer dispelled those anit Teutonic demons and I was able to proceed like a true gentleman, well, a gentleman with a sailors vocabulary. Anyway the tool box is now complete and slave cylinders and trans fluid changes are just routine maintainence. Ride on, oh you masters of the road and thanks for all your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts