BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if someone could tell me the size of the allen key that fits into the gearbox drain plug.

I found about two tablespoons of gearbox oil on my garage floor today about three hours after I had returned from a short (70 km) ride. The bike was parked in a hotel garage the previous night and I did not notice (actually I did not pay attention) if there was already oil left on the hotel garage floor.

I am putting my hope to the drain plug being loose (even though the gearbox oil was changed at the dealer's about 5000 km ago). I don't have the key to check the plug tightness so I have to go and buy one tomorrow morning.

The oil was dripping down on the right leg of the centerstand and I so far I have removed the muffler bracket so that I can see the drain plug. The plug surroundings were a bit oily but I can not say 100% that the oil is coming from there.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Regards

·
Registered
244 Posts
pozo_izquierdo said:
I wonder if someone could tell me the size of the allen key that fits into the gearbox drain plug.

I found about two tablespoons of gearbox oil on my garage floor today about three hours after I had returned from a short (70 km) ride. The bike was parked in a hotel garage the previous night and I did not notice (actually I did not pay attention) if there was already oil left on the hotel garage floor.

I am putting my hope to the drain plug being loose (even though the gearbox oil was changed at the dealer's about 5000 km ago). I don't have the key to check the plug tightness so I have to go and buy one tomorrow morning.

The oil was dripping down on the right leg of the centerstand and I so far I have removed the muffler bracket so that I can see the drain plug. The plug surroundings were a bit oily but I can not say 100% that the oil is coming from there.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Regards
Ari,
You need a 14MM hex socket or Key.. the key should be in your tool kit to get you started..

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks John!
Now I know what tool to buy and I also hope it is the drain plug getting loose...especially that I have a 800 km business trip to the Baltics starting at 6:30 Monday morning on a ferry to Tallinn, Estonia.

Best regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts