BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
welcome Bundy. We forgive you for not getting the LT... :p
I've seen a few GT's on the roads around Sydney, but not many users seem to join the forum. Maybe they think they won't have any problems cause its a beemer..., or they dont want to "talk" to us "old farts".:rotf:

·
Registered
30 Posts
welcome Bundy

from in between FNQ & FSV

Coffs Harbour

And dont worry if you havent got an LT

I still have a 90 K100RT although I have done it up and added bits to better than the LT albeit I would like to have a 1200 one day although I believe the 1200 doesn't seem to have the same ground clearance of the 100's and 1100's have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello to all. I have just bought an LT, but have done quite a bit of cruising on my 1200C and 1150GS.. Hope to do lotsa K's in the Big Fella .. I pick it up this week in Newcastle and after a quick ride to Sydney, its up the Putty Road, then Thunderbolts Way, before heading thru the Fabulous Gold Coast and home to Cairns :bmw:

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Welcome Des.
What a geat ride home you'll have... if the rain stays away.
Being retired and you like riding... maybe a good chance you'll get to the Snowy Ride?
What year model did you purchase?
I noticed the other day there's still quite a bunch on bikesales asking high $$$
cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi and welcome DesPRado

Thunderbolts Way gee decisions decisions if you come down waterfall way through Dorrigo you will come through Coffs so drop us a pm and will give you contact details try and meet up otherwise you will have lots of fun going through to Grafton via Nymboida. Or are you going to stay inland

·
Registered
1 Posts
of interest to ulyssens for the pen agm theres a mob of us riding from goolwa sa to the top of the murrey,then across to Penrith, riding about 300 kl a day and being disgracefull by night, This is my first time on here, be gentle

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Welcome Tony.
That should make for nice ride, as long as you behave yourselves on the way... :histerica
Check the threads for the Snowy Ride in Nov.. if you want to have a practice run. ;)
I'm sure a few of us will get to meet up Penrith... but is such a boring ride out the M5/M4 for me, might have to go via Kangaroo Valley or something to make it interesting :bmw:
cheers mate

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hiya Tony :wave
Sounds like a nice ride, but only 300kms a day :eek: !!!!! Thats not even a tank full of juice ..... Oh! I see, its the "being disgracefull by night" :beer: thats the problem. you think thats all you will be able to handle the day after the night before hey. Sounds like its gonna be a pretty interesting trip then. :rotf:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys,
Looks like its been a while since this thread has seem some action so I thought I would throw up a pic of my 07 RT-P. Well maybe not :( iPad won't allow it...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks like this part needs waking up.
Started on a K100RS somewhere around early nineties which I had to give up as the first child came along.
20 years later got a 2nd hand 2004 1150RT. After the ashtray was full, all farkles attached and working and bike brought to 100% mechanically, replaced it with a 2005 1200RT.
Now doing the same to it.
It will have to last until the new water-cooled boxer has been out for at least a year.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
:wave

:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi all,
Have been viewing this site for some time researching the 1200lt. I did (still have it) ride a 1995 1100lt for a number of years and just 3 weeks ago today picked up a late 2004 1200lt. Love the bike. The misses also loves the ride. Yet to go on a long trip yet. But can only imagine she will sleep most of the way.
Lot's to learn about the bike, it's likes and dislikes. Speed humps and sharp drive ways have to be shown respect. It bottoms out easily I have found. Had the wife on the back and neglected to stiffen up the rear. Result, scrubbed out on the fairing in a moderate bend.
I live in Seven Hills NSW and would like to catch up with others to seek advice and just to admire the bikes.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Hi Brian.
Seven Hills probably puts you more out Phil Ward's way than mine....(Little Bay)
welcome to a wealth of info on the LT..
Is it a 2004 (older style with the radio display above the oddments box) or 2004 - Europe, which is when it changed slightly and was called a 2005? eg, my 2005 was built April 2004...

EDIT: OK, just saw an older post of yours... its generally called a 2005 model to save confusion.. ;)

How many K's?.. you might find the rear shock has just about had the best out of its life.. the rear preloader can have a touch of oil topped up which helps, but past a point its better to put a new shock (or spring) in it, especially if you're going to do a lot of 2-up.

cheers & welcome

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Chris,
Okay then it is the 2005 with 30k's on the clock. I am the third owner and going by the size of the previous owner, and the statement that was made that most of his k's were 2 up, I was thinking perhaps the rear may need replacing.
Looks like I will be researching the pros and cons of various shocks and spring combos.

I also think my rear rotor is near replacing. As the belling is quite loud. I guess this is the sort of item that would be nice to have an experienced eye look over.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
bfree said:
Hi Chris,
Okay then it is the 2005 with 30k's on the clock. I am the third owner and going by the size of the previous owner, and the statement that was made that most of his k's were 2 up, I was thinking perhaps the rear may need replacing.
Looks like I will be researching the pros and cons of various shocks and spring combos.

I also think my rear rotor is near replacing. As the belling is quite loud. I guess this is the sort of item that would be nice to have an experienced eye look over.

Thanks for the welcome.
Heh, heh... that description brings someone to mind that we haven't heard from in quite a while... what colour is it, and any idea who the previous owner was??

Don't sweat the cow-bell, the rear-rotor "floats" as part of its design, but it makes a stinker of a noise.
A few years back BMW offered a recall/swap on the rotor (here's a thread about it).
The new one's been as quiet as a mouse ever since.
There's a cheaper alternative from EBC (do a search, EBC brake rotor) that many guys have gone with to overcome the clanging.

I've just been emailing Dennis in Tassie about Wilbers shocks, but try to top up the OEM pre-load first, it probably needs it. Here's how. If you do it, use something with a flat end (ie, not sharp) to push down the plunger...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi Brian,
Another '05 rider here. Ive been known to frequent Pie in the Sky at Cowan. If you ever ride up that way (the old Pacific Highway) and spy my ride, drop in and say hi.

cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
158 Posts
HI again,
I see that a number of riders are Ulyses members. I know a few, and as a prog :rolleyes: ressive ageing person myself, :rolleyes: it might be timely to meet up. Where and when is the next meeting? I believe Castle Hill some where.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
bfree said:
HI again,
I see that a number of riders are Ulyses members. I know a few, and as a prog :rolleyes: ressive ageing person myself, :rolleyes: it might be timely to meet up. Where and when is the next meeting? I believe Castle Hill some where.
I don't know if the other guys are active Ulyssians, must say I'm not but it's useful for 10% discount on my insurance premium, which covers its cost and I get the monthly magazines to read... :D
Meetings are wherever the branches are located, my nearest Group is around St George area, and not exactly local to me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
bfree said:
HI again,
The meeting you mention is the Saturday morning gathering of the Hills Branch at Pirate Pete's in Dural.
I went one Saturday and sat amongst them but no one extended a greeting. I have ridden with them on a Friday ride a while back.
You don't have to "belong" to any branch just check out their ride calendars and go along.
The wife and I join up with other Ullyssians at Brooklyn for breakfast on the first Sunday of each month.

It would be great to have an LT gathering sometime but these days most people are time poor. Maybe one day... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
:wave G'day from down under.. Been sniffing around here a little while doing a little research and fact finding on the R12RT since Picking myself up a nice clean 2008 RT-P.

My first 2 wheeled beemer, I've had a couple of the cage variations and currently own a 2010 Z4 Sdrive35.

Been riding in some form or another for over 35 years. The RT-p replaced a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. I felt like a bit of a change, a little more speed and sharper handling, but still comfy enough for the long distance stuff... Too old and stiff for going back to a sporty :D

I've still got a chopped up V twin for bad ass days

This is a pic thread so here it is as it arrived

A bit too much white :cool: so I broke it up a bit with some BMW Motorsport colours

still need a bit of a trim :p

and this is the 800 Vulcan for the bad ass days I mentioned

Reactions: Geoff c
21 - 40 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.