BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running 87 octane in my LT and haven't noticed any difference in performance or mileage. Anyone else done this? Had any issues?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I've been running 87 octane in my LT and haven't noticed any difference in performance or mileage. Anyone else done this? Had any issues?
What year do you have. The earlier pre (don't quite me yet) 2005 had lower compression and might get away with regular more easily than the later ones. I still run premium even though I have a 2001.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Using fuel that is a lower octane rating than the Manufacturer recommends is a great way to save money for your retirement!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Using fuel that is a lower octane rating than the Manufacturer recommends is a great way to save money for your retirement!

And if the engine actually requires that higher octane, it is a great way to also require a new bike for that retirement. :)

For me it is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
You probably wouldn't notice any change in performance or mileage. You might notice some pinging if accelerating at lower rpms, especially on hot days. But there will probably be some pinging that you are unaware of going on.

I recall there have been reports piston land damage due "detonation", "pinging", or "knocking" due to low octane fuel in the K1200LT engine. Search on "broken lands" you will find threads on the subject.

Applicable quote, John Z (who knows whereof he speaks regarding KLTs): "You run the risk of broken ring lands on the pistons if you have not been running premium fuel since the LT has no knock sensor."

You can buy a lot of premium fuel for the cost of a top end rebuild...

HTH

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
My friend has an early 1999 K1200LT. He bought it new, and uses regular no-lead. He said there was a recall on his bike, they change something on the bike to give it more get up and go. The down side of it was you would need to use better gas that regular. He did not get the recall done as he liked using regular and has a bit over 100,000 miles on it now.

That said, all the bikes that got the up-date..and all the bikes sold after need higher rated fuel than regular. As CharlieVT said..
:wave

Reactions: roadrash

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
My friend has an early 1999 K1200LT... He said there was a recall on his bike, they change something on the bike to give it more get up and go. The down side of it was you would need to use better gas that regular...
Do any of the old timers here remember any such recall? I don't. I'm thinking the procedure of unplugging the air temperature sensor in the air box to reduce hot weather hesitation sort of morphed into this story of a "recall".

·
Registered
425 Posts
I did the search as suggested on "broken lands" and came up with about a dozen threads... none of which had a discussion about the use of regular gas resulting in broken lands from detonation... There was some discussion on broken lands but no mention of causation.

I sold my LT (2001) a couple of months ago, and before I sold it, I tested it with both regular and premium and found no difference in performance, or sound of the engine. Each engine is unique unto itself... I say if you get the same results with regular as you do with premium, there is no benefit to using premium, but that is just me. Check your spark plugs for condition. They should all be the same. If clean and tan... they indicate to me that the engine is proper time, with appropriate fuel, and proper valve adjustment. If they are oily, or carboned up... then look for a problem.

Just my $0.02 spend it wisely...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I sold my LT (2001) a couple of months ago, and before I sold it, I tested it with both regular and premium and found no difference in performance, or sound of the engine.

It has been mentioned in other threads that both regular and premium have the same amount of energy to release so you will see no benefit for power or performance if your particular engine does not require it to keep from knocking. The 2001 was pre compression increase so more likely to be able to run on regular with no other modifications. If your engine is knocking regularly, we all know that damage can occur and it isn't pretty so run what is necessary to protect your engine. Anything more is not of any power benefit other than more Techron or other additives to help keep things clean. There are other benefits beyond anti-knock to running premium.

As to causation, here is a rather long article on detonation and pre-ignition and the resulting damage that can happen and the causes of both.

http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue54/EngineBasics.html

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Do any of the old timers here remember any such recall? I don't. I'm thinking the procedure of unplugging the air temperature sensor in the air box to reduce hot weather hesitation sort of morphed into this story of a "recall".
I am thinking it was not a recall, but anyone complaining of hesitation had their motronic(?) replaced with a updated motronic at no charge. I had mine replaced on my 2000LT. That may be what he is talking about.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
The only thing that will cause broken ring lands is detonation. Now there are several causes for detonation with the primary cause is too low an octane fuel being used. The second is too lean a mixture which can be caused on certain models by "cutting the brown wire loop" AND disconnecting the air box temp sensor at the same time. This is what did in the ring lands on one bike at 100 K. If you are getting detonation you most likely will not hear it and the LT does not have a knock sensor. Your choice always on what fuel to run, but for me it is always premium from a Tier 1 gas station if available.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
You probably wouldn't notice any change in performance or mileage. You might notice some pinging if accelerating at lower rpms, especially on hot days. But there will probably be some pinging that you are unaware of going on.

I recall there have been reports piston land damage due "detonation", "pinging", or "knocking" due to low octane fuel in the K1200LT engine. Search on "broken lands" you will find threads on the subject.

Applicable quote, John Z (who knows whereof he speaks regarding KLTs): "You run the risk of broken ring lands on the pistons if you have not been running premium fuel since the LT has no knock sensor."

HTH
I used 89 octane at Casey's stations in my first LT which was a 2003. Lost a piston land on #3 piston at 149,000 miles. I parted it out and bought another K1200lt cheaper than I could fix the 2003 LT.
Just saying!

So now I run 91 octane w/o alcohol when I can find it. I have 2 stations within 40 miles of home that have it.:)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Putting in gas that is higher than recommended octane, you are wasting your $. Lower, a different story.

I have to admit - I laugh like crazy at these threads. I run exactly what the manufacturer calls for in ALL of my vehicles. My LT called for 91. My GTL calls for 89. I know that guys who are a he** of a lot smarter than me made this determination, and they didn't just "make something up".

Running 87 octane saves you what? 20 cents a gallon, or a whole buck-twenty on a fill up, if it was bone dry? :wow:

BTW, on my '01, I HAD to get a tank of regular once, while in hot weather, and two up. I couldn't tell a difference performance wise - but in one situation, where I was pulling into traffic, and needed maximum acceleration, she pinged like a popcorn machine.

If you're happy saving $1.20 a tank (which over 50,000 miles represents a savings of about $200) then go for it...

Reactions: JNW003

·
Registered
7 Posts
For what it is worth I had a Buell 1125r, the high compression Rotax twin engine that called for 93 octane (race ECM). So that is all I put in it. Unless I got caught between a rock and a hard place and she would run like crap. only happy with name brand. So I stuck with Sunoco, Exxon/Mobil or Shell. The Honda GL1800 called for 86 Octane and seemed happy but I still put the good stuff in part of the cost is better additives. I have a friend that services fuel pumps and He claims that pumps with single hoses, your getting about a quart of the last octane that was pumped!

Rick

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I have a friend that services fuel pumps and He claims that pumps with single hoses, your getting about a quart of the last octane that was pumped!

Rick
When I go fill my gas can, I pump about a gallon in my car first as I always put premium in the can so I can top off the bike before heading out. I try and run the tank down before filling at a pump so I don't keep adding small amounts of lower octane over and over. Lawn mower doesn't care and I use far more in the bike than in the mower so cost difference is minimal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I ran 89 a few times and the bike ran very rough. The moment I switched to Shell 93 Premium, the bike ran a whole lot smoother, it was like flipping a switch. The premium is the way to go, even if it is on the pricey side.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
How does spending money to repair or replace your LT engine help you save money for your retirement?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
I use about 650 gallons of high octane gas each year in my LT's. Each time I fill up the high octane cost me about $1.50 more per tank or about $195 per year more. I never know from one ride to the next how hard I'm going to run the engine so I always use high octane fuel.

If I knew I could contain myself to to ride easy around town during the week I would buy 89 octane gas. I never know when I'll feel like running up the RPM near the red line so I always get 91 to 93 octane gas.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Hi ,... Yes...That's it , as mtrevelino said :

I am thinking it was not a recall, but anyone complaining of hesitation had their motronic(?) replaced with a updated motronic at no charge. I had mine replaced on my 2000LT. That may be what he is talking abou
He said that he decided not have the motronic replaced. His bikes was to use mid-grade , but has run regular thru it for 100,000 miles.

Me, I run premium in My K1200LT..:wave

1 - 20 of 29 Posts