BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 50 miles left on the computer, pulled into a gas station today to refill. After removing the gas cap, noticed the small hole was missing inside the top of the tank. I assume it must be inside the gas tank? Checked with a mini-light and can see nothing inside the right side of the gas tank. Does this pose a problem other than splash back during fill up? Assume it's inside there somewhere, but after over 80k miles, this is a new one on me. I checked for other threads on this, but found nothing.

Any advice or other's experience would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
gdroege said:
With 50 miles left on the computer, pulled into a gas station today to refill. After removing the gas cap, noticed the small hole was missing inside the top of the tank. I assume it must be inside the gas tank? Checked with a mini-light and can see nothing inside the right side of the gas tank. Does this pose a problem other than splash back during fill up? Assume it's inside there somewhere, but after over 80k miles, this is a new one on me. I checked for other threads on this, but found nothing.

Any advice or other's experience would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure what you mean is missing. Can you take a picture? Do you mean the filler neck that helps maintain some air space above the gas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I'm gonna assume you mean the filler cap that accomidates unleaded fill nozzles. I can't say as I am surprised because I know there have been times when because of the way the nozzle went in, there was some serious torque on that spash plate. I imagine it could impede fuel flow if it landed just right, but my guess is that would be a long shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Voyager said:
I'm not sure what you mean is missing. Can you take a picture? Do you mean the filler neck that helps maintain some air space above the gas?
Yes, that's what is missing!

Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diehly said:
I'm gonna assume you mean the filler cap that accomidates unleaded fill nozzles. I can't say as I am surprised because I know there have been times when because of the way the nozzle went in, there was some serious torque on that spash plate. I imagine it could impede fuel flow if it landed just right, but my guess is that would be a long shot.
Yes, you are correct. Surely I'm not the only one to have experienced this problem. The 08 is still under warranty, so I guess that would mean a new gas tank?

Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
gdroege said:
Yes, you are correct. Surely I'm not the only one to have experienced this problem. The 08 is still under warranty, so I guess that would mean a new gas tank?
Gary
They can do that. That is what I did. But be advised, the new tank will not have the smaller opening. (At least mine didn't.) I don't think its worth the time away from the bike to get this done plus the dealer has to dive in deep creating the potential for more problems. I would have them fish the piece out of there at the next service when they are already in there, preferably during a fuel filter replacement when it will probably fall out anyway.
Without it, it is easier to tell when the tank is full. I wouldn't want mine back if they offered it to me.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top