BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, Just did my first air and Fuel filter replacement on a 2000 LT but I am having a problem installing the bolt that goes thru the bottom front bracket hole. It seems like the tank is not in the right spot and while it is only a half an inch or so it's enough to keep things out of alignment. Is there a special way to do this? What am I missing?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Just pry the tank up ever so slightly to align the holes.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Guys, Just did my first air and Fuel filter replacement on a 2000 LT but I am having a problem installing the bolt that goes thru the bottom front bracket hole. It seems like the tank is not in the right spot and while it is only a half an inch or so it's enough to keep things out of alignment. Is there a special way to do this? What am I missing?
Take a read thru this thread for some helpful hints in reinstalling a fuel tank. Good luck. They can be cantankerous now and then. ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just read the thread (thanks Dick). I cross threaded the bolt on the bottom (didn't tighten down too much added a bunch of washers) as I was pressed for time. When I get back in there I may have to re tap the hole. What size tap would it be? Anyone know off hand?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Had my tank out a while back, went back in no problems.
The night after I got everything put back together, I was laying in bed thinking about it and I realized I'd forgotten to tighten up the front two bolts where the hooks are. :histerica :histerica

Make sure you have the bolts tight!:D:D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
I just read the thread (thanks Dick). I cross threaded the bolt on the bottom (didn't tighten down too much added a bunch of washers) as I was pressed for time. When I get back in there I may have to re tap the hole. What size tap would it be? Anyone know off hand?
It is an M8. If it is stripped I have had good luck with JB Weld. Clean the hole with alcohol and liberally apply JB Weld to the hole. Then insert the bolt after spraying it with oil or WD-40. Don't try to tighten it but get it in all the way. leave it for 24 hours then beak the bond by loosening it then tighten to full torque (15.5 ft lbs). Never had this fail me again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The. Bolt size is M8 with thread 1.25 remember the M8 has two different thread sizes. You may have to helicoil the hole

1 - 7 of 7 Posts