BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed from another post today that most of you are getting upwards of 40 miles per gallon. I have been watching the bike computer and it is telling me that I am getting 35 to 40 miles per gallon at 70 with the cruise on. It seems like I am not getting the proper mileage. My bike is a 2002 LTE with only 8500 miles on it. Does anyone have any ideas? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
My '05 gets 36-42 on the highway, depending on WX, load, etc. Did I mention my right wrist and food tend to be heavy?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Rlamar2398 said:
I noticed from another post today that most of you are getting upwards of 40 miles per gallon. I have been watching the bike computer and it is telling me that I am getting 35 to 40 miles per gallon at 70 with the cruise on. It seems like I am not getting the proper mileage. My bike is a 2002 LTE with only 8500 miles on it. Does anyone have any ideas? :confused:
Use LUCAS fuel treatment for 1K miles. I did it with 19K on mine, and mileage went up noticeably. That stuff works miracles.... At 70mph, cruise set, pulling 48-54 mpg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I found the mileage on all of my vehicles falling off with alcohol blends here in Southern California. I imagine the fuel blends vary from state to state which could cause the variance in miles per gallon. Just a thought.
Rlamar2398 said:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I am only repeating a suggestion from some time back.
Does your bike have a computer and are using that reading. What you can do is a manual reading. Look at your fuel gauge let's say half tank. Fill up and see how many gallons. Also note milage at that point. Then do your ride at 70 mph and when you get back to half tank stop and note that milage. Then do the math X miles ridden divided by Y gallons to fill up. Now compare the two and see if the computer is fooling. Sorry to take you back to school but it works.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,072 Posts
Also try a reset of the mpg. It is a running average until you do that. You should be doing better than that with on 02. Run premium as there is no knock sensor on the LT. My 05 gets 50 in the Rockies and down to 27 @ 85 on Texas back roads pulling the Bushtec. But most 02's are getting 43 - 50.

·
Registered
170 Posts
billsmith said:
I am only repeating a suggestion from some time back.
Does your bike have a computer and are using that reading. What you can do is a manual reading. Look at your fuel gauge let's say half tank. Fill up and see how many gallons. Also note milage at that point. Then do your ride at 70 mph and when you get back to half tank stop and note that milage. Then do the math X miles ridden divided by Y gallons to fill up. Now compare the two and see if the computer is fooling. Sorry to take you back to school but it works.
Speedo and Odometer are off 10% on the high side, do a search on this you'll learn more

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just to add one more data point, my 1999 averages 47.6 MPG.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Weather (wind), payload, windshield position and speed all come into play. You will need to reset the MPG portion of you computer to get a more accurate average as it is a running average since last reset. Mine usually shows low to mid 40's with a combined highway, back roads and urban driving. At 70 mph and above she really seems to get thirsty. I just checked my last tank using good old fashioned match and came up with 46.25 mpg.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will check the air filter when I change the oil this week. I did reset the computer and it went from mid 30's up to around 40 mpg. I always use premium gas. Does anyone else have any experience with the Lucas treatment. When I bought the bike the dealer told me it should get 50 mpg, but I thought that was a claim like the cars that say 30 mpg on the sticker and your lucky to get 25 mpg. As a newbie I am nervous about doing too much maintenance as I don't want to break anything but I am ready to start doing whatever is necessary. Thanks for the info.

Rich

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMG I just looked at the BMW maintenance manual and it looks like I have to take apart half the bike to get to the air filter. Is this the correct/best way to inspect and change an air filter on the KLT? :confused:

·
Registered
253 Posts
That is right. You have to remove the fuel tank to change the air filter. However most threads I have read online here stated they found a reasonably clean filter when they tried to change theirs. I changed my filters last weekend and concur. My filters seemed clean.I will be riding this week and know the effect of the new filters.

Removing the fuel tank seems like a requirement for most regular maintainence task. So you might get to it often and may be sometime soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I always do that mileage calculation in my car as well as the bike. I reset the trip meter everytime I fill the tank and do the math next time I fill up. A habit I developed a long time ago because I commute close to 100 miles a day/ 50 each way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 02 gets no less than around 45 mpg no matter how I ride but I would say avg. around 48 mpg. I have noticed that the computer is always avg. on the low side even if reset between fuel stops as compared to manually figuring it out. I believe there is a way to set the calculation factor in the computer but have not looked in to it as I have a fuel gauge and odometer and pretty much know how far I can go on a tank full. I always keep a record of fuel purchases when on a trip and calculate overall mpg avg. then multiply that by fuel capacity which gives me a pretty accurate indicator of how far I can go on a tank of fuel. I reset odometer at every fill up and therefore have an accurate idea of fuel range which should be close enough as you do not want to run the tank empty at anytime. Just my thoughts hope it helps

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Just curious, on my 99LT I averaged between 47 and 50 mpg. Om my 09 I can not get any better than 44mpg. Does this compare to what others are getting ? Riding style has not changed. I only use premium gas.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sac said:
Just curious, on my 99LT I averaged between 47 and 50 mpg. Om my 09 I can not get any better than 44mpg. Does this compare to what others are getting ? Riding style has not changed. I only use premium gas.
I am curious also.
I too have an '09 so let me pose the question to you isn't the '99 considerable lighter (about 170 pounds no hydraulic center stand and anything else that the new bike has.

I don't think you are feeding more ponies I would say stronger stallions :histerica :histerica Well those are the major differences. By the way I get upward of 45 mpg. I also use my Nav iv fuel gage to get a third opinion reading. All these are just comparisons. Once you find one you can trust hold on to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts