BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
weather here in NH is getting cool. My mileage according to the BC is 45-47 in warm weather and drops to 40-42 each yr when season changes , anyone else experience this ?

Until this yr I used premium fuel, changed to regular this yr. Bike runs no differently, is there a reason to use high test. High test or reg gas makes no difference

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Well, it use to be winter fuel had less BTU per # that summer fuel. Something to do with pollution in the winter.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I've been using regular for many years now--never heard a ping.

My gas miles per gallon is better here in ME during the summer than it is back home. During recent 4.5 hour ridings on interstates I was getting between 50 and 53 mpg.

Course it could be that back home during cool wx, they blend ethanol with the gas. And during summers back home since the temps are over 100F, the are is less dense.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Does your state require oxygenated fuel in winter months? Some states do and that will reduce your mileage. FWIW, I only get 42 mpg running 89 octane 10% ethanol fuel. :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's about the % mileage change I see in my bikes between gas w/o ethanol...and 10% ethanol blend. If your locale is switching between the two seasonally, that's a likely guess.

Temp change alone wouldn't cause that sort of fuel consumption difference. If anything......motors run better in cool weather because the air's more dense.....more oxygen per intake stroke.

JD

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,350 Posts
Ping or no ping it is always better to run premium especially in the higher compression 05 and up bikes. You may not hear the ping but it is still there attempting to fracture the piston ring lands. When that happens your oil mileage (not fuel mileage) will go down. There is no knock sensor on the LT.

I have pulled one enginge apart where every piston had the ring lands fractured. One was so bad the ring broke and scored the cylinder wall essentially destroying that block. Oh and it was still running fine just using more oil than it should have.

On a side note premium vs. regular has little effect on mileage. Added ethanol produces sigificant alteration of mileage.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
jzeiler said:
Ping or no ping it is always better to run premium especially in the higher compression 05 and up bikes. You may not hear the ping but it is still there attempting to fracture the piston ring lands. When that happens your oil mileage (not fuel mileage) will go down. There is no knock sensor on the LT.

I have pulled one enginge apart where every piston had the ring lands fractured. One was so bad the ring broke and scored the cylinder wall essentially destroying that block. Oh and it was still running fine just using more oil than it should have.

On a side note premium vs. regular has little effect on mileage. Added ethanol produces sigificant alteration of mileage.
I totally agree.
I don't have the knowledge or engineering background of fuel mixture as oppose to effect on engines but 2 things.
That's one of the things mentioned during my first dress down, USE PREMIUM. And as much as I am tempted to do otherwise with the gas prices in Chicago I force myself not to since I look at the bigger picture of protecting my investment.
LT's aren't cheap :histerica
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts