BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a ride yesterday where the leader was on winding roads. Speeds varied between 40 and 60.

I could ride in 4th or 5th gear comfortably most of the time.

Question: Would 4th or 5th gear get the better mileage.

Karl

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Personally I find 2nd and 3rd more fun in the twisties at those speeds. I rarely engage 5th below 70 and only on the open freeway. You will get a bit better mileage but will end up being less stable in the turns and using your brakes a lot. Far better handling when in the power band.

I have averaged 46 mpg over the life of the bike, 51 for the high and 40 for the low. Now since I started using the power band more I see a decrease in tank to tank mileage of only 2-3 mpg (depending on twisties or not) but I am having way more fun.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I've found that the distance ridden makes more difference than anything. It takes about 7 miles for my choke to start to really come off and quite few miles longer before the engine gets completely stable. You won't see the absolute best mileage out of your bike until you've done, say, twenty miles.

I've confirmed these impressions over several years of commuting and vacation trips. I tend to keep the BC set on miles remaining and the first sign that the choke's coming off in a big way is when the figure starts to increase, having fallen away badly in the first few miles. Resetting the BC at points during 200 mile+ rides on our recent Continental trip showed that consumption falls to a plateau but, as you'd expect, is significantly higher early on.

So make all your rides long ones (as if we needed any such excuse! ;) )

Keith

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I use 5th for the highway and it is at least 65mph.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm comfortable with 5th. over 55mph. If I need to grab a lower gear it's real easy. My gas mileage averaging 75mph with the windshield up only a few inches is around 44mpg. Sometimes for no good reason it jumps to 46mpg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm with velocityguy.

At speeds about 55 and > I put it in fifth.

UNLESS I am on a road that I know my speed will vary significantly (twisties) - or am commuting - I like to be able to react very quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts