BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally posted this originally in the wrong forum. Sorry about that.

Last week I purchased a 2003 LT. I did a lot of reading before making the purchase to help determine what my next ride would be. I chose the LT, in part, because of the consistent claims of 45+ MPG.

I burned through a couple of tanks of gas this weekend and according to the computer I am getting around 36MPG. This is consistant with my own calculation. Tire pressure is okay I think. I have 40 in the front and 44 in the rear but do not yet have a manual to tell me exactly what they should be.

I have never ridden a BMW before so I am uncertain how the engine should perform. It seems to be rather sluggish until about 3000 rpm at which time it runs like a scalded dog.

Any ideas on why my mileage is so poor? I do not have a maintenance history so I don't know what has been done. The bike had 20005 miles when I bought it.

BTW, I love the bike so far......except for the mileage.

Thanks for any ideas or help.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
How long has it been since the LT had a tune-up? You should get 45+ MPG unless you are doing all city traffic.

·
Registered
461 Posts
There is a label in the left luggage door listing tire and pressures ,I think it is
36 and 46, tires seem to last longer and cup less with 38/39 front and 48/49 rear .
When my O2 sensor was bad it got 35MPG and you could see black smoke under hard acceleration . Sparkplugs were sooty and black ,replaced O2 sensor with universal 4 wire Bosch from Autozone ,yesterday got 49+MPG 2 up 70 MPH.
After O2 sensor replacement reset MoTronic and throttle position sensor .
1. pull MoTronic fuse for a few minutes
2.turn on key but not start
3.stroke throttle from idle to wide open two times
4. turn off key

Then go for a ride

Bob G

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
gbob said:
There is a label in the left luggage door listing tire and pressures ,I think it is
36 and 46, tires seem to last longer and cup less with 38/39 front and 48/49 rear .
When my O2 sensor was bad it got 35MPG and you could see black smoke under hard acceleration . Sparkplugs were sooty and black ,replaced O2 sensor with universal 4 wire Bosch from Autozone ,yesterday got 49+MPG 2 up 70 MPH.
After O2 sensor replacement reset MoTronic and throttle position sensor .
1. pull MoTronic fuse for a few minutes
2.turn on key but not start
3.stroke throttle from idle to wide open two times
4. turn off key

Then go for a ride

Bob G
I would try Bob G's suggestion before spending the money on a O2 sensor. The only thing I would suggest when you pull the fuse, is leave it out for an hour or two, better yet leave it out over night. There is some residual charge left in the Motronic and a few minutes is not enough time for it to clear, in my humble opinion.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Steve_R said:
I would try Bob G's suggestion before spending the money on a O2 sensor. The only thing I would suggest when you pull the fuse, is leave it out for an hour or two, better yet leave it out over night. There is some residual charge left in the Motronic and a few minutes is not enough time for it to clear, in my humble opinion.
Plus one !! Pull bottom fuse in the right side fuse block tonight. Reinstall it in the morning . reset TPS and ride ride ride .

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well, I'm another that would suggest a tune up and repalcement O2 sensor. I replaced mine at 18K. My gas milage went from 36 avg to 41 avg. Might go higher, but I drive a minimum of 75. The higher the speed the lower the milage.

If you do change the O2 sensor, be sure to follow the advice to reset the Motronic before you test it out. And your board computer as well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Took a nice easy ride on my LT a few weeks ago, no quicker than 70 but not crawling. After 100 miles, trip comp said 64.1mpg!

Simon

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
If you are running in 5th gear below 3000 RPM you'll get poor fuel mileage. This engine isn't one to lug. Keep her woundup at 4000 and above and your mileage will improve.

I wouldn't change an oxygen sensor until you have a dealer check for faults.

Just my .02.

I have an '03 LT and consistantly get 47 by doing the math on each tank of gas. The BC, in my opinion, has to be set to give you accurate results. :bmw:

·
Registered
47 Posts
wow. You drive the most expensive motorrad that BMW makes and you worry about gas mileage..??? Just drive it like you stole it..

·
Registered
162 Posts
My fuel mileage dropped a loton my '04 LT. I brought it to the dealer, they put it on their computer and scanned for faults. One was found in the throttle mapping; they reset it, gas mileage back to normal. I'd take it to the dealer and spring for the 1/2 hour labor it will take to do the computer check.

·
just a guy
31 Posts
The bigger the windshield, higher the windshield, and faster you go = lower mpg. The earlier models with taller gearing also get better mpg.

all the best,

Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
ArthurKnowles said:
Well, I'm another that would suggest a tune up and repalcement O2 sensor. I replaced mine at 18K. My gas milage went from 36 avg to 41 avg. Might go higher, but I drive a minimum of 75. The higher the speed the lower the milage.
If you do change the O2 sensor, be sure to follow the advice to reset the Motronic before you test it out. And your board computer as well.
Roger that.
Here in Idaho, I do 80-85 and get 40-42 mpg., on the highway.
Mileage is directly related to the wrist for the most part.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I guess mine being the older 2000 LT is why mine is higher. 46-53mpg is what it got last year. I've yet to check it this year and being the base model I have no computer to reference. I hope to check it this coming weekend on my trip to Gainsville. I think with any of the LT's you should be able to achieve mid 40's.
Let us know what you find out!
Hip

·
Registered
372 Posts
Went for a 90 mile ride with my wife yesterday. COmbination freeway and country roads. MPG indicated 51.5 when I pulled into the garage.

·
Registered
457 Posts
simon said:
Took a nice easy ride on my LT a few weeks ago, no quicker than 70 but not crawling. After 100 miles, trip comp said 64.1mpg!

Simon
Are you sure your trip computer is correctly calibrated. 64 seems really high for this bike. I have seen 48 to 52 with speeds up around 70 and 2 up but never 64. And yes the trip computer can be adjusted.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have 40 in the front and 44 in the rear but do not yet have a manual to tell me exactly what they should be.

Tires should be 42 front 48 rear.

·
Registered
225 Posts
simon said:

Simon
64mpg? SWEET!! Heck I'd remove the windshield and lay on the tank(almost) for 65mpg!!

One of my co-workers has a f650GS and got 70mpg to Birmingham and back. but that's a small bike!

·
Registered
131 Posts
As others have said, it is primarily a function of your wrist. I get in the low 30's when doing the twisties at higher revs, and in the mid to high 40's when going down the road.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not my wrist causing the gas mileage. On the superslab, cruise set at 70. Will tune up and see if it improves.

·
Registered
151 Posts
vernvernvern said:
If you are running in 5th gear below 3000 RPM you'll get poor fuel mileage. This engine isn't one to lug. Keep her woundup at 4000 and above and your mileage will improve.

Just my .02.
I've gotten a 9 year average of 51.4. According to this (and other threads), I lug. I rarely, rarely, wind engine towards upper revs, maybe its just my bike?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts