BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My gas milageon my 02 went from 47 to 38 about a month ago and I just did a service last week [new plugs ,fuel and air filter,vave adj.]No change in milage. Any ideas?? thanks Jim

·
Registered
699 Posts
Try Throttle rest first - key on (don't start) twist throttle full open to full close twice, then key off - then key on & start, go for a ride & see! But most probably the CO2 sensor.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Bighopper said:
Try Throttle rest first - key on (don't start) twist throttle full open to full close twice, then key off - then key on & start, go for a ride & see! But most probably the CO2 sensor.
Almost right, need to pull the fuse to the electronic box for a couple of hours, I like to do mine over night. On 2004 and older that is the bottom most fuse in the right hand fuse box as you sit on the bike. Plug the fuse back in, turn the iginition to the full on position, throttle all the way open, all the closed, all the way open and all the way closed again. Turn the ignition off. Then either turn the bike on and start the bike and let the idle smooth out or go for a ride.

1. Pulling the fuse for an extended amount of time forces the electronic brain to forget what its current settings are.
2. Throttle open to closed twice, sets the limits for throttle operation.
3. Everything after that causes the electronic brain to relearn and hopefully increase your mileage.

Side Note: If you ride like me, sometimes doing all that doesn't do much as I'm hard on the throttle all the time. :D

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
My gas milage varies from 36 to 48 mpg in the winter depending on the weather & the speed i'm riding.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Steve_R said:
Almost right, need to pull the fuse to the electronic box for a couple of hours, I like to do mine over night. On 2004 and older that is the bottom most fuse in the right hand fuse box as you sit on the bike. Plug the fuse back in, turn the iginition to the full on position, throttle all the way open, all the closed, all the way open and all the way closed again. Turn the ignition off. Then either turn the bike on and start the bike and let the idle smooth out or go for a ride.

1. Pulling the fuse for an extended amount of time forces the electronic brain to forget what its current settings are.
2. Throttle open to closed twice, sets the limits for throttle operation.
3. Everything after that causes the electronic brain to relearn and hopefully increase your mileage.

Side Note: If you ride like me, sometimes doing all that doesn't do much as I'm hard on the throttle all the time. :D

Steve,
Is that process true for all years?
I have an '09.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

Winter gas formula varies by supplier and effects your MPG also.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts